Book Life

I finished Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. It was okay, a fluff book, nothing too exciting.

I just started Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern. It's a story about an autistic child who witnesses a murder; Everyone is waiting for his unpredictable brain to reveal information about the crime and his mother is just trying to survive with her child, who regressed back into a shell of what he once was.

Reading stories about sick or disabled kids is something I try to avoid and I'm not sure how this one got on my book list. Though they make me highly appreciative of how lucky I am that my son is healthy (for the most part) and developmentally on target, stories (real or otherwise) about children hit too close to home and they can be emotionally draining. When I read a book, I don't want to emotionally exhaust myself, it leaves me susceptible to sadness when I put the book down.

I have another book I picked up from the library this weekend: Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout. It's about a mother-daughter relationship and also appears to be a bit of a sad story. We'll see...

I need to get back to reading nonfiction and actually walk away with something productive after spending two or three days reading a book. I should start working on my list of things I want to learn about for the year...maybe tomorrow.

Just about lunch time - I'm going to sit at my desk and read for an hour; wearing headphones to drown out my officemates continuous conversation she is having with herself. Thank Buddha for noise-cancelling headphones!! They work wonders when you don't want to hear someone 6 feet away from you talking to her email.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails