The Homestretch



Guess how many days I have left at my current job??
TWO


Just 8 more hours at my little desk in the corner of "little Asia."
Eight more hours of pretending to care about my department.
Eight more hours of being nice to people who are not necessarily nice to me.
Just 8 more hours holding the title of Administrative Assistant!!!
I'm on my way up the ladder, and out of a bit of a rut I have been in for the last three years.

Over the last three years, I've learned a lot.

I learned that you really can't trust that someone who seems to be your closest friend, will actually be true to you when they are in trouble and need a scapegoat.

I learned that even though I don't have any knowledge of a computer program, it will not take long before I am the resident expert on that program. Computers and I are friends til the end!

I learned that I LOVE databases. And though I was pretty dedicated to MS Access before this position, I am now very much in love with FileMaker Pro.

I learned that a lot of really nice people are fake.

I learned ordering catering is hard for vegans. I also learned that if certain restaurants mess up on your catering order, they provide free food coupons that can not be used for a department lunch, and as such, go directly in my pocket (which explains why I have TWELVE coupons good for one free entree and a large drink from Baja Fresh).

I learned that I can enter data into a database, while watching a movie and chatting on messenger just as efficiently as if I was doing nothing but entering the data.

I learned that there are a LOT, seriously -A LOT!!!!!!- of really interesting websites out there just waiting for me to happen upon.

I learned that blogging is fun and somewhat therapeutic.

I learned that its quite easy to take advantage of a company when they have very poor management.

I learned that after you take a two-hour lunch once a month for six months, you start to not feel guilty about it. (It's not just ME -it's a group thing that occurs)

I learned that I am the QUEEN of multi-tasking. Seriously, look at my head-that's a crown up there.

I learned that being patient will absolutely be worth it in the end.

I learned that it's very acceptable to admit you are wrong, as long as you have a plan to make it right.

I learned that if you're going to call in sick, do it before the boss gets there so you don't have to directly speak to someone.



So many lessons I will take with me to my new job.

It will be a huge adjustment to get used to taking a scheduled 30-minute lunch and two 15-minute breaks, as opposed to a 60-minute lunch and two 30-minute breaks.

It will be hard to give up messenger and being available via email all day.

It will be a bit hard to get used to The Real World and working a real job again...though I vaguely remember doing it before, and doing it really well. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike.



I've got new work clothes, I'm going to get my hair cut and colored this weekend, I've celebrated for the last two weeks - I'm READY!!

Two more days....I can't believe it!



0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails