Swollen Tongue Syndrome

I don't eat a LOT of fruits-certainly not near enough if you believe the FDA food chart. 5 servings of fruit EVERY day??? Is that possible??
I sometimes have a banana for breakfast, if I can find one with NO brown markings or soft spots whatsoever. I LOVE grapes and asian pears and will have those any time they are on sale, but otherwise, not a lot of fruits for me.
I like apples, but I notice that every time I eat them, my mouth starts feeling funny....the roof of my mouth feels like it's been stung, my tongue itches and swells a little, and it's a bit hard to swallow without a little bit of pain.
We recently bought this yummy mix:

And I can't stop eating it...though I have about a 90 minute period after eating an apple that makes me wonder if it's worth it (it is!).

I also get a strange reaction when I peel potatoes, not quite the same, butstill annoying and a bit worrysome. Every time I handle potatoes from the bag, I start sneezing and feel as if I have a horrible flu. Instantly. I can't remember when it started, but it's been at least five years. I know that I used to peel potatoes when I was younger without a reaction, but at some point, my body has rejected the idea of it.
Odd.

I wonder what other unexplainable instant-body-reactions I have to look forward to...

3 comments:

  1. Sarah said...:

    Ha! That happens to me when I have MSG, but I never remember that I'm allergic until it's too late!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    I have burning mouth syndrome and a swollen tongue after a tooth extraction. I also lost my sense of thirst and have a dry mouth

    After many mouths I have found that eating ginger, drinking ginger ale and swishing ginger ale in my mouth can bring some relief.

    Peeling potatoes makes my skin burn and eating them causes overall weakness. However,... organic potatoes don't give me these symtoms so I think it the pesticides etc. that are actually the problem.

    Apples and some other fruit will also cause taste buds on my tongue to swell - some of the time, not always.

  1. nosnoma said...:

    my tongue has been hurting and swelling on a regular basis for the last month. My sister told me about the "dirty dozen" which are fruits and vegetables that retain a lot of pesticides which cause this reaction in many people. The solution is supposed to be to stop eating those fruits, or switch to organic and see if that helps.

    I'm about to begin my trial and error process now.

    -Matt


    here's a link I found
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13737389/page/2/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails