All of Gods Creatures


...were with us at dinner it seemed.
Or there was enough blood present that you would think that.

My carnivorous son made steak kabobs. I will buy the meat, I will observe the meat, but I do not want to have to touch it/smell it/wash it/cut it/taste it in any way. The right side of the grill is deemed a chickenarian friendly side and only chicken is allowed. The cows must be kept on the left. That goes for you too little piggies! CHICKEN ONLY on the right.

AND

No sharing of utensils. If the tongs are flipping Ole Bessy, they shouldn't be near Chicken Little. It just wouldn't be right.

I know my son, and all of my family really, would love to see me sit down to a big steak dinner sometime, but I can not fathom the idea of doing so. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to think about it.

I am not really sure how long it's been since I ate beef or pork. I can't even remember what they taste like, but I know I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

And no matter how many family dinners I have with my sister and parents, I am almost certain to have to talk about it. I'm not sure why...it's been about seven years since I stopped eating red meat/pork; it's really gone beyond the "it's just a phase" period. It's almost like I personally offend some people by choosing not to eat the same foods.

I think of it the same way as other food preferences. Regardless of why or why not someone is choosing to eat/not eat a certain food, it's really just a choice they make. Should we really hold it against them? I don't think so....it's really not a big deal, until someone makes it a big deal. And it isn't me making it a big deal....I've had plenty of meals where I've had nothing but a hamburger without the hamburger (bun, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, bun). It's not my favorite-but it's tolerable and it's something to stop me from wanting to snack all night. I've also had plenty of meals of thanksgiving/celebration-of-the-hostile-takeover-of-the-new-world dinners where I've eaten nothing but potatoes and corn. Still not a big deal. To me anyway...

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails