Cook for Me

I keep meaning to take a cooking class, but honestly-I just don't LIKE to cook. I don't like to play the tuba, so would it make sense for me to take tuba lessons?
Logical, yes?

I make a variety of dishes for my son, and I do teach him as much as I can about cooking and nutrition. Almost every dish I can make-he can make on his own, which is good. What we're missing though, is key info like what spices go together and having keen senses about sweet or sour or bitter or tart. I don't think I HAVE these. He does somewhat, but maybe it's something you're born with as opposed to a learned behavior? I'll have to look into that...



I'm a mediocre cook, but I've accepted that I will never be an excellent chef. I don't even WANT to be- it's just not something I find enjoyable. I would, however, like more knowledge in the kitchen.

Our favorite meals:
  • 7-layer dip (though I only eat 6 layers, I make a separate pan with 7 for my carnivorous son)
  • Chicken-grilled-with yams and broccoli (we actually have had this twice in the last ten days)
  • Chicken Caesar salad
  • Baked chicken, made with cream of mushroom soup and rice
  • Pasta-just plain old spaghetti
  • Pizza snacks-mini pizzas made on English muffins
  • Thai peanut chicken-chicken cooked in peanut sauce, served over rice (the best food ever)

I need new ones though...
I like recipes that are easy, don't involve a lot of ingredients or spices that I will never use again, and that don't take very long to throw together. I don't want to have to follow precise directions and sift flour and pre-cook part of the meal and then marinate for three days in a pot buried in the backyard.

There is a lady who wrote a recipe book with 800 recipes that need only three ingredients - I'm reserving it from the library now.

When I was newly married, and slightly pregnant, my wonderful Aunt Jean told me: "You gotta learn to cook if you want to keep a man." Luckily, I didn't learn to cook before getting divorced or I might have ended up keeping that one.

My folks gave me this wonderful super deluxe special edition extra-ordinary George Foreman grill for my birthday -and we've barely used the stove since. I quickly learned that you absolutely MUST marinate your meat for a good day before cooking on it-as apparently if you cook a piece of meat within seven minutes, it will dry it out. We made hamburgers and veggie burgers on it as well and it was WAAAAAAAAAAY simpler than firing up the grill. I might try making waffles tomorrow on it. It's awesome and takes away some of my distaste for being in the kitchen.

1 comments:

  1. MP3 e MP4 said...:

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails