Coffee For Everyone

I was reading Men's Health the other day (yeah right) and they have this section called "Eat This, Not That" and I'm reading up on: "The 20 Unhealthiest Drinks in America." Just skimming through to see what horrible drinks other Americans are drinking and making sure that Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke are NOT on this list.
Which they are not, and which is good-cause they are the BEST. (Sunkist was the worst, which surprised me! It's made from ORANGES-a fruit!! Hello??? Fruits aren't bad!)

Anyway, I'm scrolling down the list and come across this, which makes me *gasp*:

7. Worst Coffee Alternative

Starbucks Venti White Hot Chocolate

640 calories
23 g fat (15 g saturated)
76 g sugar

Caffeine abstainers will find little nutritional refuge in Starbucks' hot chocolate concoctions. This one packs an entire day's worth of saturated fat, with more than enough sugar to set you up for a dramatic mid-afternoon energy crash. Stick with the Steamed Apple Juice instead.

Some of you may have heard-I do NOT like coffee.

I highly dislike the smell of it, I dislike the taste of it, I dislike the lingering aroma of it that never goes away, I hate the way people obsess over it and make it such an integral part of their life.

I have never ever ever ever EVER been a coffee fan. I have strong suspicions that it might be because I had to prepare the coffee maker for my dad's morning coffee and would go to bed with the smell of coffee on my fingertips-cause it is impossible to wash off that smell!!!

But then last year, just about this time actually, a work-friend of mine introduced me to this holiday drink at Starbucks (someplace I also used to have very anti-affectionate feelings for)....but then....like a ray of light....

....I taste the heavenly drink that is MORE than a drink.

It's a
peppermint white chocolate mocha.

It's like drinking a melted piece of chocolate with this slight side flavor of the yummiest peppermint in the world-just a slight flavor, not over-powering.
It kind of melts in your mouth and hugs your throat as you drink it and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy....
Like getting a hug from a giant stuffed teddy bear .
Like finding a $50 bill you thought you had lost but it was somehow left in the washer and turned up in the dryer-all fresh and crisp and ready to be spent.
It's like having a stranger come running after you when you dropped a brand new glove.
It's like having a cat curl up in your lap and purr out of happiness for no reason whatsoever.
It's like getting the perfect haircut (which I recently did).
It's like putting the last piece of a puzzle together.

It's just...... Goodness. Sweet, natural goodness.

So it startled me when I saw that the sister of my drink, the white hot chocolate, would be looked down upon and titled the Worst of anything.....

And then.....

THEN:


6. Worst Hot Coffee

Starbucks Venti 2% Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha

660 calories
22 g fat (14 g saturated)
95 g sugar

Important Rule of Thumb: Avoid holiday-themed items from coffee shops at all costs. From peppermint to egg nog to pumpkin, these are often the most sugar- and fat-packed drinks you'll find at places like Starbucks. Make your own flavored drinks instead, using skim milk, sugar-free syrups, and, of course, skipping the whip.


0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails