Yikes! I Love My Big Feet!!

Ever think your feet were too big?

It's MUCH better to be too big than too small in this case...cause um, wow...the photos I just came upon were shocking.

I have read a number of books about the Chinese culture and the more I hear, the more astounded I am.

We've all heard tales of feet binding, but have you ever really seen a real life case? Me either--until I happened upon these photos. (yes, the title on the post says these are the feet of a geisha-the blogger acknowledged his error in the comments-this is definitely a Chinese tradition).


This is an atrocity of such an extent that you almost think that it is just a fairy tale and couldn't possibly be true. And perhaps the Chinese prefer to deny it and try to keep it underground (much like the Koreans like to deny they eat dogs), but you can't erase the evidence.

It goes back a LONG Long time in a Galaxy far away....
Legend has it that the origins of footbinding go back as far as the Shang dynasty (1700-1027 B.C.). The Shang Empress had a clubfoot, so she demanded that footbinding be made compulsory in the court.
...but the ramifications STILL are present.

Very sad!!!

1 comments:

  1. Geri said...:

    My friend has big feet too, and I agree it's better their too big than too little. If you're interested in covering those toosties read http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/big-feet-and-great-shoes/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails