Book Review of the Week: The Year of Fog


This book kept me up late last night...it's an easy read in the easy way that it is well-written and you don't want to put it down. It's not an easy read in that it's about a small child being kidnapped. That's not a spoiler --- it's the theme of the book.

The whole book.

As a parent, it's hard not to be able to put yourself in the shoes of the child's family...who hasn't lost their child for a minute or two in the mall or at the park? You turn around and that little squiggly monster has run off and hidden or just thought it would be funny to hide under the clothing rack....but it's not funny and it's not fun. It's terrifying.

I think every child does the game where they crawl amongst the clothing rounders in a store and call out "come and find me." It's a fun game for them-not for you. Public areas are not a stage for a game of Hide and Seek. You just never know...you never know when you're going to turn around and your child will be gone. You never know when you might turn around for just a minute--just ONE minute----and by the time you turn back, your child is no longer standing there. It's the most horrifying moment ever.

This book was good-it explores the feelings and thoughts and the scenarios of what goes on to a family who really does lose their child. I would definitely recommend it because it's a good book, well-written, great plot, good characters, good timing... I felt a connection with all the main characters. I like where the author took them, I liked how she wove them in and out of different possibilities.

But I somewhat held my breath the whole book, waiting and hoping and wishing the little girl would be found.

Something I think about with regard to a tragedy is how it affects people on the sidelines. The observers of a fatal accident, the family of a murder victim-or the family of the murderer. What is the story behind the story? I don't need to read the main story, I like to hear the story that no one remembers or thinks about. Sometimes those are sadder than the obvious sadness.

The Year of Fog touched a bit on this, not as much as I would have liked, but a touch of it. It was interesting. A great book for someone without kids.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    So are you telling us she doesn't get found?? Have you read The lovely bones? why are you trying to depress me today?!?! AR

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Kaylen Marie, I loved that book and it was an "easy read" book - I just can't believe my niece reads some of the same books I read!!! Good going kiddo!!

    Aunt Cora

  1. I will add it to my list to pick up for this summer :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails