The Worst Wrists in the WORLD

They have this knobby bump, which made my doctor, in the middle of a non-wrist exam, do a double-take and say-"are they always that big?"

And they are achy. Sometimes ALL day. AND night.

The last doctor said it's most definitely tendinitis.

Six years ago, my doctor said it was most likely carpal tunnel.

I've gone to physical therapy a couple different times. I love it. It hurt, but it felt good. It cost a lot, and it took a lot of time - but totally worth it.

I type for a living and have done so for about 17 years now. My job entails sitting at a computer for 9 hrs a day, and then I usually spend another 90 minutes online during the evening (cheap entertainment mostly). My wrists hate this.

I've been wearing a small black wrist brace for about 14 of the last 17 years. I have had about 17,000 coworkers ask me if I'm going bowling.

I heat them at night and sometimes wear a heat wrap during the day. I've taken enough ibuprofen for a small country ending in "ovia". I get professional massages when I can. I tried some special lotion that is made from the tears of leprechauns that has special wrist-healing powers. I do daily stretches. I pay my teen way too much money for 20 min wrist rubs.

And yet, they still ache. I hate them. I hate hate hate my wrists.
I heard that someone felt some less wrist pain by taking daily Vitamin D pills. She's not a daily typer, but it helped her. I'm going to try that next.

And then the old standby is Vicodin. Vicodin definitely makes the wrists feel better. I try to avoid taking it, as I feel like meth, coke and crack would also be as effective, though my doctor won't prescribe those. And the addictive nature of Vicodin is a bit of a turnoff to taking them. If I'm going to be an addict, I would probably take meth or something that has a nice weight-loss side effect.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle said...:

    Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your long-suffering wrists. I don't know how I'd handle all of that pain and discomfort :(

  1. Nat said...:

    You crack me up! I just told Sonny that you should write a book. I would totally read it. The fact that your lotion is made from the tears of leprechauns, you've taken enough ibuprofen for a small country ending in "ovia," and that you would choose meth because of its weight-loss side effect... makes me love you all the more! Hah! I'm sorry that your wrists are so screwed up! Do you need me to go yell at some doctors until they give you a magic pill? I can be VERY INTIMIDATING! :)

  1. San said...:

    Ouch, ouch, ouch.

    I only get wrist-ache every so often, but I can definitely imagine that it sucks big time having pain all the time

  1. krista said...:

    i just laughed out loud and scared my cat (she was curled up so nicely on my lap)
    first, the tears of leprechauns.
    then, the remark about avoiding vicodin because if you're going to be addicted to something it might as well have the added bonus of weight loss.
    you. are. awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails