The New Jodi Picoult book

I love Jodi's books - she is an amazing writer and I don't know of her books that I wouldn't recommend.

Her newest book is called, "Handle With Care" and is about a child who has brittle bone disease (osteogenesis imperfecta). It's heart-breaking illness and it's a tragic tale of what families have to go through when they have a child born with this rare, incurable disease.




Did you see the movie Unbreakable with Samuel Jackson and Bruce Willis? You should-it's a GREAT movie. Sammy J's character has brittle bone disease so I have heard of it before, but reading about how much the family goes through is pretty insane---a regular seat belt can fracture a rib, falling down will break multiple bones, playing ball can be devastating...and the crushing blow to your finances to buy the special equipment and pay for the multiple visits to the emergency room...yikes - it's insane. Jodi does a great job, as usual, of showing views from different people, but I just didn't feel as much of a connection with these characters.

I'm not going to ruin the ending of the book for you - but I will say that I didn't really like it as much as her other books. I would still recommend it, but it's not at the top of my list.

I did finish within 36 hours of getting the book from the library, so obviously it's a page-turner (as are all her books). I love love love this author and you should too...but this is not the best story.

Anyone else read it and feel this way?

4 comments:

  1. Nat said...:

    I haven't read this book, but I love Jodi Picoult! Her books are definitely page turners. I can never put them down when I read them.

  1. Yaya said...:

    I can't imagine have a child with brittle bone disease. That would be so heartbreaking!

  1. Michelle said...:

    I've never read anything by Jodi Picoult. I have one though, Change of Heart? I think that's what it's called anyway. I'll get to it one of these days..

  1. armouris said...:

    info on brittle bone disease here - Brittle Bone Disease

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails