Easy Family Recipe Night

For those of you who slightly know me, you know that I do not really enjoy cooking. I don't like spending 40 minutes cooking in order to eat for 10 minutes and then spend another 15 minutes cleaning up from the dinner.
This is why I love baking--it doesn't take as long, it's hard to go wrong with baking, and it's usually more basic recipes and less clean-up.

However, we are trying to cook more. And so we have...
First up is the salmon dinner. Salmon is great because there is so little work necessary to make it. We just slather some olive oil into it, wrap in foil and throw on the bbq for 15 minutes or so. Perfect! Very little mess and very minimal fuss. Did I mention how perfect that is?? I think we might have to have this once a week. Salmon is brain food, ya know? I feel smarter already. The whole meal cost about $11 to make-as everything was on sale. $11 for a healthy meal that takes very little effort to make? PERFECT I tell ya!
We grilled some asparagus along with it, which is a first, and definitely won't be the last. We slathered that with olive oil too, added some salt and pepper, grilled for about two minutes, than turned, grilled for two more minutes-done! It does not get any easier than that.
We served it with a lite Caesar salad, which is necessary for me as I don't really like to eat salmon alone-I love it on Caesar salad though!

Beautiful, yeah?
grilled salmon

Tonight we made some super-delicious stir fry. I'm not sure what the end result was supposed to look like and I didn't have a recipe to follow...just kinda made it up with a friend of mine, but it turned out really well.

However--it was a lot more prep work than I prefer.

We grilled the chicken thighs (marinated in stir fry sauce), made white rice in the rice cooker, steamed broccoli, grilled asparagus and then sauteed it all together with some corn, diced celery, and a bit of stir fry sauce. I'm not sure if it is traditional stir fry...but it was good! Andrew gave it a 4.5 out of 5.0 on our rating scale, which is really great as the last few actual recipes we followed were only a 3 or 3.5. So my non-recipe recipe scored big time!

The end result - Stir fry ala Kaylen:
chicken stir fry

Did I mention how long this took to make??? It will be something we make once a month maybe, but geesh---the prep work and the dishes we made (a bowl to mix the rice and sauce in before stir-frying, the marinade container, the container to soak the asparagus, the small bowls with the celery and the cut-up chicken, the plate the chicken came in from the grill on, the pan and the steamer I used for the broccoli, the stir fry pan....come ON) were too much, but it was worth it all to get the 4.5 out of Andrew, right?

Right.

And there is a bowl and a half leftover for him to have for lunch tomorrow-PERFECT. (assuming he doesn't eat it at 1am)

Send your simple recipes my way folks...I'll be sure to give you credit if it works out well.

4 comments:

  1. I could eat that right now. I could eat a lot of that right now.

  1. Badass Geek said...:

    I'm not a big fan of fish, but it looked tasty.

    I'm also not a big cook. I just recently mastered mac & cheese.

  1. San said...:

    If you like Salmon, here's another very easy recipe:

    Put Salmon in a glass dish (sprayed with a bit of oil), sprinkle with pepper, salt, basil, garlic, put sliced tomatoes and onions on top of it, sprinkle with breadcrums and bake at 375°F for about 30 min.

    Delicious!

  1. Nat said...:

    Woops. I thought I left you a comment before, but I guess I didn't. I'm a nerd.

    Anywho, your dishes look delicious! I tried making stir-fry once and not only did it take forever to make, but it turned out really badly. I think I need to try making it again so that I have a better experience to connect with it.

    Also, I forgot to give you the URL for my little shop. www.natstager.etsy.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails