How to Brush Your Cat's Teeth

Ha - it's like I'm a professional cat owner or something.
We started with how to clip your cat's nails. That was a good one. That featured the rambunctious Whiskers.
I don't think most people bother with their cats teeth, but you should!! Let me share a little story.

Come, sit down. Let Kaylen tell you a little tale...

Once upon a time, we had this beautiful white princess of a cat. I was a normal cat-owner and we did normal cat-things with her. Like brush her hair, squeeze her, love her, talk to her like a baby, feed her human food, spoil her rotten, etc.

And then one day, we came home and found our beautiful white princess cat had blood coming from her mouth and she just cried and cried and hissed and hissed. We took her to the vet and found that her fangs had rotted and one had come loose, and one needed to be pulled. After a few hundred dollars donation to our local vet, the beautiful princess came home minus FOUR teeth and with some antibiotics and a scheduled teeth cleaning.

Fast forward two years--repeat story from above, but more money because the teeth were worse and I had to pay for anesthesia and a special state-of-the-art, high-tech, lunar-landing-worthy laser that fights tarter like it was an alien life form. Her teeth were whiter than George Clooney (I love you George-call me!).

Fast forward eight years, and we now have some serious bad breath going on with our feline friends.
And so.....with our two precious furballs, we now have to brush their teeth. We don't do it regularly by any definition of the word "regular" - but I try for at least once a week. I'd like to do it more, but....well, I would also like my cats to like me.

So here is a short clip of the lovely Ginger, not enjoying her dental time, but not really fighting much either.
Sorry in advance for the old lady hands - I'm not really that old, right Otin? :)

The key is to repeat the phrase "good girl" over and over apparently. It is hypnotizing.

8 comments:

  1. Christine said...:

    Aw Jeez, I don't know if I can do that. I think my kitty will be really po'd. But a big thank you for the "how-to" video. Maybe if I show it to her, it will help?

  1. Oh, HEAVENS! Poor thing!
    Every time we bring our dogs in for a visit, they try to guilt us into a teeth cleaning and the fees are astronomical since they're not covered by insurance. And my answer is, "They're dogs. The little one is always trying to eat my toddler's poop. Will a toothbrush REALLY help that?" They usually shut up after that.

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    Uh, I actually think my cats would let me do this. They try to eat hairball remedy straight from the tube, and even let me clip their nails. I think they are a little on the nutty side, but hey.

  1. Pam said...:

    Wow! My cats don't even like getting Frontline applied!

  1. You should be wearing those steal mesh gloves scuba divers wear to deal with sharks.

  1. otin said...:

    LOL at Captain Dumbass!

    I didn't see any old lady hands! :)

  1. mrbrownthumb said...:

    LOL,

    You must really love your cats 'cause I don't think I'd have the guts to do that and risk getting bitten or scratched.

  1. I am supposed to brush my dog's teeth a lot more often than I do...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails