Babies are Not for Sale....Unless you are Famous

This is a really interesting/sad/disturbing news story about a family who adopted a baby from Africa. They already had three children and adopted a baby boy because they always wanted a big family and felt they could really help a child from Africa.
Lovely story thus far.

But after 18 months of living with this child, they decided that it just wasn't going to work out, and they gave the baby up for adoption to another family.

Whoa, what????
Huh?
Does this really happen????

I am FULLY condensing the story of what was most likely a very hard decision for a family who was probably going through some very serious issues and life trauma of unimaginable kinds (I assume), and they had to make this heart-wrenching decision to give up the new baby who was just NOT bonding with the family.

I don't want to make light of whatever situation the family went through, as I really have very little information beyond the report, however - in what situation is it ever okay to do this??? I'm just appalled.

I don't even know what else to say on this....it just makes me sad.
I try to see it from the family's point of view....what if it was a good friend of mine....and I really think that I would not support the decision to give up the child. What if you have a biological child and it doesn't bond? What if it isn't born healthy? What if it just doesn't get along with your other children after two years of trying? What if your first born doesn't bond with your new baby? Do you give up that child?

I just Do Not Get THIS!!

I'm sad for the family. But I'm more sad for the child.

8 comments:

  1. San said...:

    I heard about the story, too and as appalling as I find it, it's probably the best for the baby boy... do you think he would've ever been happy with this family?

  1. Marketing Mama said...:

    I read about this too and I was disgusted. So, so sad for the child.

    Although I don't get what you mean in the title about being famous? I think this was just a regular family, wasn't it? If there was a celebrity connection, I missed it.

  1. Pam said...:

    I read about this this and was very sorry for the baby. I didn't ever find all the details.

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    Poor kid. If he had troubles before, imagine what this is going to do to him.

  1. kilax said...:

    Wow. I wonder what a baby could do in 18 months that would make it THAT BAD. I hope they found a good home for him!

  1. kyooty said...:

    I've heard a few stories like this over the last 4-5yrs but I don't know all the details.

  1. It's definitely an odd complicated story. Blogher covered it quite a bit, if you want to read more. Good Morning from SITS!

  1. Raven said...:

    That poor child. How horrible for that little boy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails