Weekend Wrap-Up.....Mexico is Fast Approaching!!

Busy weekend!!!

I went out with a friend on Thursday night and had a great time!! I don't drink much, but now and again, it is fun to throw back a few. **The key is to only throw back a FEW, or I will most likely throw up a few.**

I left my 16 yr old home alone, for really the first time. I am pretty sure he didn't have any raging party while I was gone. I am not going to say it would be payback for certain things I may or may not have done when I was his age. He's a good kid in most ways, so I don't really doubt that he did nothing illegal and/or immoral over the course of the night (though I could be wrong).

Friday I did not have to work (yay!) and came home to lounge about, then I got a bag ready and left my 16 yr old home alone AGAIN (great parenting, yeah?) to drive three hours north to the city where I went to high school and met up with two of my close friends from high school: Cherry and Loda. I have not seen them for about 14 years. We stayed up until 3am chatting and talking and reliving the last decade and a half of our lives. How is it so easy to lose touch with people?? Oh, because we didn't always have email. Life was rough back in the old days. I adore these girls and they have made so much of themselves. I hope it will not be 14 years before we see each other again.

We wandered about and parked next to this van that someone had written "Danni was here", but then someone else had crossed off Danni and wrote in their name Eagan I think it was. So we crossed off Eagan and wrote in our names: "Kaylen, Cherry and Loda" Fun!
writing on carsWe went to a little bakery where I found some yummy cookies. You know how sometimes you really want a sugar cookie, and they are in the shape of a smiley face, but you don't FEEL as happy as a big yellow sugar cookie? Luckily, they make sad faces for those days.
happy face cookies
I stopped by my parents house for a very brief time, during which my mom tried to show me 100 years of family history. We made it through a fair amount, but I would love to spend more time browsing her papers. It's amazing how much stuff she has from the past - I don't think I have anything that can compare that I will be able to pass on to my son. Here's a couple things she has - original versions!! Very cool!

Western Union message 1946


A Western Union from 1946!! This is an unfortunate way to hear that your dad has died!!!


memorial card 1928


This is the little memorial card that they handed out for a funeral (I think) - from 1928. I have no idea who this man is - but how very cool!!! I guess he was born in 1851, if I'm doing my math right (which doesn't always happen). And this is the original paper from 1928! That's so old!!!

And then it was home to my teen, who I suspect did not have a party for another night (as far as I can tell).

Remember those days when your parents left town while you were in high school?

Did anyone out there NOT have a party, or open Christmas presents early and then rewrap them, or just stay out too late doing certain things you would not want your mom to know?

Click the comment button below to share how responsible and mature you were and help assure me that my son was as wonderful as I want to believe he was. Best comment wins a great prize of being recognized as The Best Story in a Comment for October!! Who doesn't want that prize??

13 comments:

  1. Maggie May said...:

    your guy very handsome :) i was a single mom to my son for years before marrying. i have some amazingly wonderful memories of that time.

  1. When my husband and I were dating, his Mom and sister went to Florida. We threw a party. Oh yes, we did!! Let me take you back to the 1970's.
    So many people invited that we called the police station (it was about 50 feet away from the house) and explained the parking situation and
    got permission for people to park in the parking lot of a manufacturing plant across the street.
    We moved furniture and removed the expensive antiques to safety.
    The beer flowed and the band played on until the wee hours of the morning....yes, there was a live band.
    We remember it all, like it was yesterday.

  1. Ms. Sarah said...:

    Sounds like you guys had fun.

  1. Yaya said...:

    I love catching up with old friends!

  1. Jay said...:

    My parents never went out of town. Well, they were divorced. The only times my mother did have to go out of town we got shipped over to dad's house. It's not that they didn't trust my sister and me, it's just that they just didn't trust us. haha ;-)

  1. Crazee Juls said...:

    The frownie cookies are so funny. :) And sad, I guess :(...but they're still cute!

    Those original papers are awesome.

    I'm stopping by from the SSS list--just to say howdy!

  1. Surge said...:

    Those old papers are pretty cool, they remind me of this little newspaper cut out my mom has of when he nephew died. He drowned down a newfoundland because he got caught in Seaweed.. the paper is really old and yellow now.

    I don't have parties at my house when my parents are away (because they never really *are*), I just help others have parties at theirs! haha. The last time I helped out I baked a batch of brownies, brought a whole bunch of pillows and blankets, a party pack of coolers and the next morning I woke up pretty much naked wrapped in a blanket on the floor.

    It sucked for me. Apparently everybody was very worried the night before.

  1. Annikke said...:

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    One Christmas my mom and step-dad were gone to a party so I decided to unwrap presents just a little to peek inside. I had been wanting a phone in my room. So, I unwrapped the end of this box and it was a phone box. I was SO excited. I couldn't wait for Christmas morning! I grabbed that package first on Christmas morning and tore into it... my mom thought she was funny. Inside the box was no phone at all. Nope, just some underwear. SUPER funny mom!!!! I was so disappointed - as an adult I can laugh about it, but when I was 13 it was not the slightest bit funny!

  1. carma said...:

    I was responsible as crap, so I unfortunately don't have any stories to share :-( kinda look those blue cookies.

  1. Nat said...:

    I was extremely responsible and never did anything wrong... and seeing as how Andrew must look up to me as exactly who he wants to be when he is my age, there is no way that he did anything bad while you were away! :)

  1. otin said...:

    I think that I got left home alone when I was about 12!

  1. ♥georgie♥ said...:

    I was so resposible and I am sure your son was too!
    I just wish I trusted my own children as much as I trusts others....lol

    I know mine are old enough...12,14,16 but i just cant break the cycle....I am workin on this

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    I told you in private what I did and it was bad!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails