Hello....Hello......Where'd You All Go???

Why is it so easy to lose touch with people? Are we really so busy that we can't just write a quick letter, or even easier these days-send off a short email?
No, we are not.

I lose touch with everyone. If you start to drift away at the same time that I happen to be drifting away...we're lost, that's it, we're through.. and then we'll need to let five years go by before we reconnect on facebook. I'm not blaming anyone else, it's as much my fault as it is yours

I moved a number of times while growing up, big moves, not moves across the city. First we moved three hours away, then we moved from Minnesota to Washington state, which is like 17,000 miles. Then I moved to Korea, which is like on the moon. Then I moved to Washington. Then I moved to Oregon.

Each time I moved, I hugged my friends goodbye and we swore that we would stay in touch. And each time...we tried for a bit and then we both just kind of drifted off into our new worlds. Sad.

And even the friends from my last job and I - we were just getting to be good friends when I was offered another job in a nearby city. I didn't move. They didn't move. But we don't talk or see each other. Sometimes we will send a quick email to say hi. Or invite each other to an event we're going to...but the connections just don't happen.

While cleaning out my old photo albums, the kind that eat your photos (did you all take care of those?? I warned you!!!), I saw this on the back of one of my friends school photos (maybe from 7th grade):
grade school photo
She said the word Always three times. How sweet is she?? It's like she really meant it----but we just drifted our own ways, cause that's what happens.

And then there's this BFF (on her 10th grade photo, I think):

middle school photoHeidi is a school teacher now. But you probably already guessed that by the prose she used on this photo she sent me a year or two after I moved away.

Anyway - to all my friends in the past: I miss you all.

(I bolded it and that means I'm serious!!)

14 comments:

  1. April said...:

    Even with the re-connections on FB, I still find I'm staying closer to the people in my life now than the people I've re-connected with, aside from a few get-togethers every now and then. It's just reaffirmed to me as our lives change, so do our friendships. Not that it's a bad thing, it just is, you know?

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    We're all guilty of not keeping in touch. I think it stems from thinking we have all the time in the world to do these things.

    This post makes me think of my two best friends who moved away in Grade 6 within 6 months of each other!

  1. Night Owl Mama said...:

    Sad how busy our lives get and that we dont' keep those who were close to use important. WE are all guilty of not keeping in touch.

    I had 4 great friends 4 yrs ago now I only have 1 and the others we just talk every other month if we are lucky we do find time to get together 1ce a yr how sad is that.

  1. Yaya said...:

    I have many friends who I rarely talk to anymore. But I still consider them good friends because each time we do talk, it's like no time has passed at all. And I know that if I needed them they'd be there in a heartbeat.

  1. S3XinthePantry said...:

    It's great that you found your old photos - I love that glimpse into the past. I only found what my parents kept because my stuff got stolen out of storage (still trying to deal with it). It is hard when you move often!

  1. otin said...:

    Sad part is... I am like that with a lot of my family.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    Oh man, I've lost so many people along the way.

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    OMG I LOVE Heidi's poem. You should embroider that one on a pillow. My favorite is that Virginity is the best birthday present.

    Happy Birthday Zack circa 1998!

  1. Pam said...:

    Even with facebook I can't stay reconnected.

  1. almost loved said...:

    I have been "reconnecting" with old friends from elementary school all this week on Facebook. But it's super lame though. We just add each other as friends with a click of a button and no words are exchanged. Does that still count as reconnecting?

  1. TQ said...:

    Isn't it crazy how that happens? Life just gets in the way. I spend more time with everyone from work than I do with anyone else! Gotta love those old days though when everyone would sign each other's school pictures and then yearbook time. I loved yearbook time!! Every now and then I go back and glance through everything and reread everything my friends said. There are three of us who have kept in touch and even though we don't talk every day, we make a point to get together at least once a month. But that darn life gets in the way! There needs to be more time in the day

  1. Lynette said...:

    you know just this morning i had an email from a highschool friend
    what struck me is that she had 40 people on her list
    all from highschool
    40
    yeah
    40 people she has kept in touch with for 30 years
    amazing

  1. kilax said...:

    I find it so hard to keep in touch because none of my friends and damily live nearby. I started the blog for that reason. Not sure if it helps much, but I love writing!

  1. Great post... I think that is why I love blogging so much. You get to keep everyone updated at once, then you get comments you can email right back to and keep in contact with.
    Love the comments from the back of the photos, it brought back lots of memories. Have a great weekend!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails