Life Is Not Always Peaches and Cream

I just feel so fortunate lately...let me share some personal information with you: I don't have a savings account. Not at all. This shocks some people, however, I have no debt beyond a very small credit card and my student loans. Oh, and that new home mortgage, but that doesn't count right? I don't even really count my student loans either because I feel like I'll be paying those until my very last breath, as I'll have to take out more loans to get the kid through college. Student loans are a lifetime expense for me.


So....with that said, I am one major crisis away from homelessness, right?

Am I worried? No. I was basically homeless in the past and I have lived part of life of just barely surviving month to month --the kind where you juggle whether you pay the doctors bill or the gas bill, the daycare bill or buy food. Hard choices. Nothing I am going through now can compare to the days of struggling as a single mom with a child in daycare, receiving no child support. Or even when I received child support, it never covered even half the daycare costs, much less provide for any necessary support.



And I feel so fortunate right now. Look at sweet Selma, my recycling friend. She spends hours collecting recycling and can't possibly be making much money doing so. And I know several people who have huge medical bills looming over them and just do what they can to keep on top of it all. For me to be able to go buy some curry for dinner, or a new set of 400-thread count sheets (half off the day after Thanksgiving!) - I just feel good about where I am. It could be much better, but it could be much, much worse.


Malalai Joya Afghanistan womenI'm reading this book about an Afghanistan woman, Malalai Joya and it just amazes me how fortunate we are. In her land, they struggle to just make it through each day alive. Not only from lack of food, medical care or day-to-day expenses, but people are just killed every day. For reasons they don't know, or for unjust reasons that they have no control over. They are picked up off the street by criminals who are supported by a corrupt government (that the US helped put in place), they might be tortured and killed immediately or just tortured and imprisoned for a lifetime.


It's just all so unfair. And unfortunately, the more I read, the more I learn that my own country -the one who claims to be trying to help the Afghan people- are actually part of the problem. More on that later...or maybe not...it's very depressing. I'm not sure I'm educated enough (yet) to really convey the information, but just know that the U.S. made some very selfish moves involving Afghanistan.

6 comments:

  1. Lynette said...:

    Your ever so right. The majority of us live from paycheck to paycheck and never know where we will be from one time to another. But we manage.
    And to look at lives that are so much harder than our own. Here and afar.
    It really does make us Thankful for what we have. And the help that is available to so many of us. I know I could not make it without that help.

  1. Heather said...:

    Whatever troubles we may face financially in this country it can't quite compare to what people like that woman in the book are facing on a daily basis. Puts things into perspective doesn't it? I find those little reminders helpful, it reminds me to think about how much I do have rather than all that I don't have. What more do you really need than the health of your family, shelter and food? We are lucky to have the piece of mind that we are safe to live our lives, safe from the injustices that they are facing in Afghanistan.

  1. otin said...:

    Unfortunately, due to religion and cultural differences, peace on Earth will never fully exist. I feel like no matter what government is installed in that part of the world, there will always be stories of injustice and attrocities.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    I always say that being poor in this country is still better than being poor anywhere else.

  1. What a wonderful thing for you to look at the good in your life instead of the bad in your life! Thanks for being so positive.
    I agree that while we may not agree or know what is going on in the Middle East, we need to remember that the soldier over there are doing their jobs and we need to support THEM always.

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    I think everyone would be so much happier if we could keep life in perspective.

    I bitch about having to put up Christmas decorations when there are people in the world who would love to have decorations to hang, right?

    I don't have a savings account either. It doesn't freak me out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails