RTT - Started Out Strong, But Then it Got Ugly.Thanks Jerry Falwell for Ruining Tuesday

randomtuesday

It's Tuesday, and that means I have the license and permission of the internet (or at least Keely and her friends) to just type random thoughts.

I have a flannel shirt I have owned since my son was almost four. As we learned yesterday, he is now 17. That makes this particular flannel shirt 13 years old. THIRTEEN years old!! It's frayed around the edges and now it has a slight hole in the elbow area. I love it. It's super-comfy (it used to be SUPER big and baggy but is now just about the right size....clothes shrink over time right? I mean, not me of course---but clothes do). I've had it for so long, it's like comfort food but without the calories.

I remember when I bought it and my very-soon-to-be-ex-husband told me he hated it and it looked a bit "white-trash"-ish. That made me love it even more. He hates it? Perfect-it's my new favorite shirt. But now it looks like it might be coming to an end. It will be a sad day when we say goodbye....there might need to be a sacrificial burning of the flannel to the flannel gods to say a respectful goodbye. I'll keep you posted.

I can't wait for Thanksgiving to get here so I can have some super-yummy garlic mashed potatoes with chives. I don't even need to eat anything else but mashed potatoes, the family corn casserole, and creamed peas. Thanks pilgrims for sharing a feast with the Indians before you killed them all and took over their land so we can celebrate with a feast!!

I've laid the law down with my 17-year old and let him know that I don't want to be the party house where all his friends go to be with their girlfriends....so the new rule is that only two kisses are allowed between any two people, they cannot last longer than 48 seconds each kiss and they do not get more kisses if they step out of the house and come back in. I think that's realistic - and I gave a freebie as well - one kiss goodbye at the door, lasting no more than 14 seconds. Rules are rules!! I'll be sure to let all his friends know as well. I might just crochet this on a few pillows and place them sporadically around the house....

TMI for the month: One time I ate almost an entire package of Oreos in a 48-hr period and my poop was black for three days. I haven't eaten Oreos since then.

I don't have to work Friday!! Yay!!!

I'm reading a book about Jerry Falwell and his college....it's scary, and sad, and absurd. I'll write more on it when I'm done. But just know that I am not one of "Jerry's Kids." Not at all!!! Remember how two days after we had a national tragedy, forever known by the date it happened, September 11th.....and the country was in shock and disbelief....Jerry Falwell went on the 700 Club and said he"viewed the attacks as God's judgment on America for "throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked." The host, Pat Robertson agreed with him, praying ""We have sinned against Almighty God, at the highest level of our government, we've stuck our finger in your eye," said Robertson. "The Supreme Court has insulted you over and over again, Lord. They've taken your Bible away from the schools. They've forbidden little children to pray. They've taken the knowledge of God as best they can, and organizations have come into court to take the knowledge of God out of the public square of America."

Doesn't that make you need to vomit??? Me too......I'm going to vomit. Right now. Here I go....

17 comments:

  1. Florrie said...:

    You were ahead of me in the SITS roll call.....just stopping by to say hello.

    I once had a tee-shirt for 12 years that I LOVED like it was nobody's business. On the flip side of that.....my husband hated it like it was nobody's business. He kept trying to tell me that he was going to secretly take it one night when I was sleeping and dispose of it. So.....I started wearing it EVERY night to bed so that he couldn't do just that and before I knew it said shirt was all sorts of raggedy and holey (NOT Jerry Falwell psycho holy....but just full of holes) and I had to say goodbye to my little friend.
    It was almost like a loss in the family.
    Heck.....I'd had that shirt longer than my husband.....For reals.

  1. Baby News said...:

    Yum...garlic mashed potatoes. Sounds delicious...too bad we're going to my mother's. Why too bad? She HATES anything with flavor. If I even mentioned garlic in any form, she may just throw up.

    And the best clothes are the oldest clothes!

  1. Jay said...:

    Garlic mashed potatoes are good for any occasion, not just Thanksgiving!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    I was just looking for a good side dish recipe to take to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. They love corn, in fact, I think that may be the only vegetable they like....please share the corn recipe! (at least with me, you know my contact info)

    PS: Ef Jerry Fallwell. God isn't spiteful. What Bible are these people reading for f's sake! Thats disturbing.

  1. I'm sure that under different circumstances Pat and Jerry would be flying planes into buildings.

    Mmm, mashed potatoes.

  1. Pam said...:

    Mashed potatoes are great. We have some potatoes similar to that. Yum!!!!

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    This post kicked ass. I particularly like the way you refer to Thanksgiving because even though I love what the holiday has come to mean in my life, let's not forget about history.

    On Columbus Day, I always want to wear a T-shirt that says celebrate the slaughter, but I know that won't go over well. I wouldn't mind celebrating Italian-American Day, but Columbus wasn't so good for my peoples. I'm just sayin...

  1. i'd say oreos are def worth the black poop

  1. kyooty said...:

    so much to post and so little time? rules on kissses?HAHAHAHAHA

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I love flannel shirts. I have a few, but they always make me feel manly. lol

  1. otin said...:

    Comfy shirt! Black turds and Jerry Falwell! LMAO! that is very random!

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    It's too hot around here for flannel most of the time. But I still have a few in my classic that probably date back around 15 years as well. Isn't flannel always in style?

    Way to keep those kissing teens straight!

  1. krista said...:

    hold onto that flannel. i wish i still had mine from my "grunge" days in college. i lived in flannel shirts and doc martens. so cliched.

    and this whole post is sort of a metaphor for life, i'm thinking. i could write a paper for you but i'm too tired. :-)

  1. Design it Chic said...:

    13 years for a flannel makes it a veteran, right?:)
    oh and pooping black after Oreos??? what happens when you eat loads of carrots?:P

    Happy Random!

    *mine's up too:)

  1. Debbie said...:

    I am quite anxious for you to let me know how that whole kissing rule works out.
    And I have clothes older than your shirt. Maybe I need to go through my closet:)

  1. Raven said...:

    I'm going to vomit too (and not cuz of the black poop); people like Falwell and Robertson not only make me sick but they scare the living shit out of me. I shudder to think what would happen if the 'moral majority' took over our country.

  1. The Hubs has a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans like your shirt... he uses it to do work around the house. I'm afraid to wash them as they may fall apart.
    Love the stories about the oreos and the rules about kisses, was like that at our house when my kids' friends came over.
    I can't stand those ridiculous Televangelists, they are SO insane. I wonder who they'll be explaining themselves to when they die????

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails