Babies and Dumpsters Don't Mix

This is a reprint from two years ago (when none of you were here with me)...I remembered this story the other day when we were talking about interviewing at work. It's such a great story, I feel like I need to tell more people.

We had an interview candidate come through my work on Tuesday and I spent about 30 min talking about the company and the city with him. Our candidates meet with about 5 people, both so they can get a good feel for the atmosphere in our department and so we can get a well-rounded look at whether or not that person would be a good match for us.

He mentioned he had a new baby so I said "aw, your first? Are you still in shock" and he said "yeah, the other day my wife and I were with friends and she looked from our fussy baby to our friends and then said "I don't know why more people don't throw these in the dumpster."

Huh?
Wait, what?
Yeah...."I don't know why more people don't throw these in the dumpster."
Seriously. In a suit and tie, at a JOB INTERVIEW, relating that story to someone he JUST MET.
He then shared his theories about how some people must just be born to be parents, but unfortunately, neither he nor his wife feel that way about themselves.
Which is fine....but um, I just met you? Should you be sharing that personal info with me? And um, are you trying to impress someone at your job interview?

And really-who says things like that?? Even if I was feeling that way as a new mom--I wouldn't share it with A) my circle of friends or B) a stranger in a job interview or C) ANYONE.


I told my young one about this that night over dinner and even he couldn't believe it. I made sure to let him know that it's not too late---and there are dumpsters everywhere. He better watch his step.

I imagine if you shared this with your much-younger-than-mine young one, they might come to develop a rational fear of dumpsters. Maybe there are already people out there that have this fear and don't know why. I have now solved the mystery for them.

12 comments:

  1. Nessa said...:

    The things people have said to me in interviews over the years is amazing but this is one is just ...?

    Santa Cartoon Riddle

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    Being able to say crap like this is a rite of passage. You have to actually live through the first five years (and keep your sanity) because than when you say it, people know it's in jest.

    So yeah, did he get the job?

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    That's just sick. I HOPE he didn't get the job. wtf was he thinking?

  1. What an absolutely horrible thing to say, TO ANYONE. I'm with you, the only one I would say that to would be my psychiatrist!!
    I once worked with a woman who used to say to us when her teenage daughter acted us, "Is it too late for an abortion?" That was another thing that REALLY bothered me. I know she was only joking, but geez, what a thing to say???

  1. Lynette said...:

    i just do not understand how that could be said in passing
    i would be by a persons side to be sure they are able to handle the stress and not thinking of such an act
    how scary
    but i will say my friend had a tshirt as a gag.
    It said
    I love to give homemade gifts.
    Which one of my kids do you want.

  1. Heather said...:

    That is a awful thing to say or even think. Unfortunely, it happens all the time.

  1. otin said...:

    I can't believe that anyone would say that!? What a freak!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    LOL. I think that is a funny story. I might say that to like, you, jokingly but ya I would say wait till someone really knows your sick sense of humor before saying that one out load.

  1. carma said...:

    wasn't there something on the news this week about a baby in a dumpster? maybe I'm imagining it, but what a tactless thing to say; bet the interview "ended" then and there. What an idiot!!!

  1. eww eww eww eww eww why didnt he get punched ewwwwwwwww

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails