Burglar in My Backyard - Caught on Tape!

We really just figured out that if you leave the backyard lights on, eventually they go off - and they are security lights, so they will come on if someone is in the backyard. How nice! 5 months in the new house....I wonder what other tricks this house does...

Tonight Andrew was teaching himself a new Coldplay song (he really is that talented!) and I was unpacking holiday decorations and the backyard lights came on...they NEVER come on. And we were a little surprised-but nothing was there. Until......I saw someones beady little eyes, peaking out from around the deck bench.

And I happened to have my camera out as I had been taping Andrew moments before, so luckily I was able to catch this trespasser.

Also luckily, our cat-who-thinks-he's-a-dog was at the ready and rushed low-belly style right up to confront the intruder.

The intruder did not even blink at Whiskers, just kept on foraging.

Oddly enough - there is a stuffed chicken leg at the door, as if it was being offered up. I assure you that we did not offer any food to this uninvited guest.

Andrew took a moment to wonder why we never domesticated raccoons. Good question. They are so cute to look at!

We named her Cassandra.

15 comments:

  1. Nat said...:

    Yes, they are extremely cute to look at...

    and then they ATTACK! Haha.. but I guess that is kind of like your cats that hate me, so maybe you guys could do it. :)

    PS- Sonny said that Andrew was really talented on the guitar. That's so cool that he has learned so much so fast! I expect a concert one of these days.

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    They do indeed attack, vicious little critter if confronted.

    You have to love cats that think they're dogs.

  1. kilax said...:

    Aww, how cute! My grandparents feed raccoons every night at their house. They come from all over and fill their yard!

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    Raccoons are cute, but I always worry they're going to give us rabies.

    At a park nearby the raccoons come right up to you and take food out of your hands with their tiny little fingers, it's really adorable. Except I make the kids stand at least 15 feet back and let someone else's kids hand out their Cheetos. I'm not crazy. ;)

  1. Barb said...:

    We had raccoons that ate the cat food we'd leave out for a stray (that we eventually adopted and who now lives in the house). We loved to watch them take the food out with their hands!

  1. Nessa said...:

    Adorable. i love when nature comes so close.

    Flash 55 - Love

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    My daughters grandma used to feed the raccoons at her house. They ate the food she put out for the strays too, but she'd always put dinner leftovers out there for them too.

  1. Lynette said...:

    watch out they have a mighty bite

  1. julia said...:

    Not your friend! Raccoons are not your friend! We had 4 of them (they are pack travelers). They came through the screen on an open window and our house was a wreck. They had the babies with them and were squealing at us. Very mean. They came back every day for the rest of the season. Even beat up the Retriever one night.

  1. carma said...:

    we don't have any stuffed chicken legs at our doors, for this precise reason..

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Ew. I once had a stuffed animal racoon named Rocky. I really loved him. You can call Cassie Rocky if you want.

  1. otin said...:

    Yea, they are cute, right! They can be vicious little buggers!

  1. Heather said...:

    I think racoons are so adorable!

    I have a Whiskers too!

  1. I think they are adorable, but they can be rabid, so if you see them during the day, be careful. I had 6 of them in my garage one night and they scared the crap out of me. They were just staring at me while eating my birdseed. I finally scared them away with a broom so I could close my garage door. My husband, son and dog did nothing to help me... figures. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails