Random Thoughts Tuesday - Learn to Drive Edition

randomtuesday
It’s been awhile since I joined in with the Random Thoughts Tuesday group. I’m sure they’ve missed me. Though they aren’t writing to check in on me or anything….but I’m sure they care. RIGHT??? HELLO???? Why aren’t you checking in on me!!!!!

I really like that one song about New York that Jay Z and that one girl sings….but then there’s this one line that comes up and it makes me stop EVERY time-it’s not a line I want to sing: “everybody ride her just like a bus route.” Ick.

I’m so tired of people who don’t know how to drive. Why am I the only one who knows how?? It sounds ridiculous, but I think it might be true!!! Here are some helpful tips for you all (not that you are the worst drivers, but…well, I don’t know you all that well):

  1. Steady even pressure on the gas pedal is your goal. Don’t push down the pedal to get to your desired speed and then let up and then push down and then let go and then push down and then let go and then push down and then let go. This is not fuel-efficient and it’s not comfortable for passengers. The car WANTS to go forward, it WANTS to maintain a speed – please do your part and just get to your desired speed and then keep your foot just slightly pushed down on the gas pedal. It’s not that hard. You’ll get the hang of it.
  2. Merging…sigh..merging…..this is a fairly easy thing to do. If there are two cars trailing each other and another has to merge---let him between you. If he has to brake when merging and get behind you-you have failed. And if your license plate is BLK SMOK and I was in a lane next to you and very politetly tried to merge and you sped up to get as close as you could to the car in front of you as my lane ended, you fully deserved the 8 honks of my horn and the flashing of my brights multiple times. And nobody in the world thinks you are cool that your big monster-truck-wanna-be blows out billows of black smoke and it’s really not cool that you have a personalized license plate to advertise that. You are not cool. Not at all.
  3. If you are in the right hand lane and there is an onramp that appears next to you with a long line of cars that may possibly merge---get in the next lane if possible. AND if you’re in that second lane and the entire third lane (far left) is completely empty, don’t get mad when that car moves over to allow the onramp to merge. Just GET OVER. 
  4. If you’re in traffic on a street with a lot of lights, don’t try to get through the light when the traffic is already backed up to the intersection. Inevitably, that light will turn red and you will block the road for the other direction of cars and everyone will hate you until the day you die.

I got my hair cut on Saturday and I loved her! She did a great job, I was really happy with the end result. That’s rare. I’m trying to grow my hair out to donate it but it’s soooo tiring to be this long. She took off an inch or so but she did some weird hairdresser trick with the scissors and made it all feel a TON lighter. I was really appreciative. So appreciative that I wanted to tip her nicely…but I accidently tipped her $20.00. I wrote it down. I was just really happy and I had been given a 15% discount for being a new customer. I bought a hair product she recommended and which I totally love….but I didn’t look at the price. So when I got the total bill, I just wrote down a number. Who wants to do a math when you’re happy with your hair?? So this is the breakdown:

Haircut: $38 – discount: $32
Product: $37!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Total: $69.00
So I tipped $20 on a $38 haircut. WHAT??? I never ever ever do this. Ever. EVER. I’m going to call it a donation. Like charity. Can I claim this on my taxes? Yes, I think so.

My friend doesn’t rinse her dishes after dinner. Just shakes the food off and then puts the plate into the dishwasher- caked on food and all. Then when the dishwasher is full, she runs a rinse cycle only, and then does a full wash. I’ve never even heard of such a thing. Do other people do this?? My first thought was-what a waste of precious water! But I rinse down my dishes really well using a little scrubby soap-brush thing. I don’t usually let the water run unless I need to really wash the dish-like pans I will hand wash and set out to dry. I’m not sure on the quality of my dishwasher, but I really really really want my dishes to be spotless and sanitary. My dishes are nearly clean when I put them in to go through a wash cycle. Really – what do you guys do?

20 comments:

  1. Nat said...:

    We wash all our dishes by hand. We have a dishwasher, but have never used it, so I don't really know what is normal. At my parents house, we used to rinse off the dishes (we didn't usually need to scrub them too much, just until they weren't gross) and then put them in the dishwasher.

  1. dgotlib said...:

    Do you eat at your friends house? Maybe you should have given her the $20 for dishwashing detergent. EWE. Don't eat at her house!

  1. Every dish gets rinsed before the dishwasher. If I see so much as a piece of spice remaining on the dish, it irritates me.
    On your traffic laws:
    4. THANK YOU! I live in Florida where it's almost required to sit idle in the middle of an intersection regardless of the light. When I brake at the line, I get honked at from behind since the light is green, even though they can see that there are others in front of me just sitting. Gr!

  1. I scrape off the big pieces but my dishwasher does an amazing job so we don't have to prewash by hand.
    LOL at the $20 tip. It so sounds like something I'd do!

    And yes, we've missed you, glad you're back to share some randomness.

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    i am sorry if you have ever driven behind me...lol.

    nope we rinse...

    and yet another reason i cut my own hair...lol.

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I'm a little confused on exactly what it is your friend is doing? Does she use soap or not?

    You aren't supposed to have to prerinse dishes with a newer dishwasher because they have a built in grinder that is like the garbage disposal. I rinse off big chunks but I definitely don't waste water rinsing them totally clean before loading them. Also? The water gets really hot, hotter than you can put your hands in to wash dishes, so they are going to be clean when they are done even if you don't rinse them.

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    Other drivers suck. Me, I'm golden. Also, other parents in carline are idiots. If you want to hold up the line to chat up your kid's teacher, please please just schedule a conference. Some of us have places to get to.

    Happy Tuesday.

  1. April said...:

    Your commenters have convinced me that I'm better off washing the dishes so that they're already clean. I consider the dishwasher more of a sanitizer anyway :)
    I'm SO with you on these driving points! My commute is only 5 minutes long and some days I come in to work practically shaking with frustration!

  1. I think people who can't get the whole merging thing should maybe just not drive. My first thought was "die" but that's not very nice.

  1. kilax said...:

    I bet you made the hairdresser's day with that tip!

    We rinse in the sink and run a regular cycle. But our dishwasher is not that powerful!

  1. JoeyRes said...:

    I've solved all of my problems with driving by being a stay-at-home mom. I hardly ever drive. I'm probably the most annoying person for you to encounter on the road hands down!

  1. otin said...:

    I could do 500 pages on driving. I think that I have done about 4 posts!

    I rinse the dishes before they go in the dishwasher.

    I gave someone a 20 dollar tip one time. It was for a "Happy Ending" hahahahaha!

  1. Pam said...:

    I rinse the dishes before the dishwasher too. My dishwasher wouldn't get them clean if I didn't. I laughed about the driving tips. I had a bad experience with a driver today and was thinking, "Learn to drive."

  1. Yaya said...:

    I'm trying to grow my hair out too to donate it!

  1. Heather said...:

    I hardly ever drive, good pointers though.

    My dishwasher's name is hubby. Your friend is really using a lot of water.

    I cut my own hair. I stopped in our local salon to inquire their prices, $15 just for a cut! Maybe next year.

  1. gina said...:

    I rinse chunks of food off sometimes, but I read that unless your dishes are dirty you end up with a soap film. Because the soap has nothing to stick too but your dishes. Even if it's not true, I 'm good with it- let's me rinse and load. ;)

  1. gina said...:

    lol, I just read the sentence above the comments.

  1. Live.Love.Eat said...:

    Random:
    I LOVE that NY song as well with Alicia Keys. Never heard that sentence though! Her part is the best part anyway.

    I definitely rinse off my dishes well before putting them in!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    You have to rinse first. Thats just gross anyway, I hate when someone has food on the inside of the door. I just consider them to be a lazy slob when I see that. (Cause I'm mean)

    I noticed that line in the song, too. Are they talking about the City? Is the city the she/her?

    Drivers. Hate them. All.

  1. You are so funny!
    I love your random thoughts and yes, I have missed you!
    ~ Never heard that song, but I only listen to rock & roll (and some country)
    ~ LOVE your driving tips, we live in FL where the country's 2nd worst drivers live (worst are in Massachusettes)
    ~ We don't use our dishwasher much since it's just the two of us (The Hubs usually just washes by hand), but when we do we just scrape off the big chunks into the sink and put them in the dishwasher. It is really new and has a grinder and a super hot wash so they come out really clean. Plus I LOVE the triple pack Cascade that prewashes, cleans and rinses. No need to rinse first - big waste of water.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails