Unexpected Guest Blogger - Scenes from Maputo

My darling friend from high school, Cherry, lives in Mozambique. She does amazing work with an NGO over there and I'm totally envious of her travel-the-world lifestyle.

Cherry sent an email out with pics and a little info about the city she's living in: Maputo. Here's what I know about Maputo, courtesy of my other friend, Wikipedia:
Maputo, formerly Lourenço Marques/Lourenzo Marques, is the capital and largest city of Mozambique. A port on the Indian Ocean, its economy is centered around the harbour. It has an official population of approximately 1,244,227 (2006),[1] but the actual population is estimated to be much higher because of slums and other unofficial settlements.
And from Cherry:


Hey! Here’s what Maputo’s downtown area, just three blocks from my office, looked like yesterday!


It rained all morning. Maputo has no system for drainage so all the streets are flooded, water level reaching up mid-way on your car door, 1/2 of your colleagues can't get into the city, etc.
The first photo is the central market, where we buy our fresh veggies and fruits. It’s over 100 years old and was designed by Gustav Eiffel, the tower guy.
 



I will no longer complain because the bottom of my jeans are wet when I walk from the car to the store. Thanks Cherry!!

10 comments:

  1. Nessa said...:

    Oh my goodness. That's a lot of water.

    Getting Reacquainted in 55

  1. otin said...:

    Wow! We had a similar flood in my area about 10 years ago with hurricane Floyd. Flood water is devastating with mold and snakes and dead animals. Very bad!!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Gosh, it seems like this is getting no coverage in the news either!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    wow. we had flooding here earlier this week, but that is crazy!

  1. kilax said...:

    Oh my goodness! I can't imagine dealing with something like that.

    Hey! Your full blog shows up in my reader now. Cool!

  1. Mbini said...:

    I actually live in Maputo partly and South Africa the rest of the time.

    Scary sight, I think.

    Mbini

  1. Lynette said...:

    well since I am sure I am related to the wicked witch of the west, I am like the southern region pion or something, I could never go there. You know the term....I'm melting......! LOL Oh my so much water. Time to start digging some drainage ditches.

  1. Debbie said...:

    Oh my word. I can't imagine living somewhere that has no system for drainage!

  1. Wow... incredible. Those poor people, how do they manage to get around? I need to stop my whining!
    Thanks for the perspective... :-)

  1. Heather said...:

    That is so heartbreaking. Such a same those really old buildings are under water. Makes you wonder how do you get fresh water, with no drainage.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails