Another Shanking Free Evening

Remember my gal, Selma? The sweet little ole lady who gathers cans in our city and who may or may not have considered shanking me the other night?

I ran into her again tonight. It was raining and it was late and it was not really an option for me not to offer her a ride.

We talked about her schedule - she leaves every morning and walks a mile to catch the bus into our downtown area, she usually gets downtown about noon. She then spends the day hanging out by the recycling center at Fred Meyers, or Haggens, or sometimes Safeway (which is 1.3 miles away and she says takes her an hour to walk) and then up to Thriftway (which is FIVE miles from Fred Meyers). She does this all day, every day. And then usually sometime around 5:30-6:30, there is a couple of people who will offer her a ride home (on a dark deserted road in the middle of nowhere) on their way home from work, if they see her. If they don't, she will just wait around until someone comes by and offers a ride or sometimes she'll have to walk.

I asked her if she ever just wakes up and decides not to leave and she said, "If I do that one day, then I'll want to do it again the next day. And if I do it two days in a row, I might never get out of my chair at all."

True. I know that feeling. Sometimes I come home and never want to leave my couch. But I force myself to....and Selma forces herself out of the house every day.

She's 94 years old!! I just love her. I want to just sit down and talk to her forever. She was telling me about how she remembers watching tv for the first time and how there really isn't anything to watch on tv anymore, but she actually made a point to say - well, nothing that I want to watch, I'm sure there are things you like to watch.

And that's really sweet if you think about it. How many times do we (all of us do this) just say something negative about a generic something and make it all encompassing without really considering that we all just have different tastes? Too frequently. She made a point of letting me know that she wasn't passing judgement on whether I like the programming on tv these days - she just doesn't care for it herself. She is NOT a crotchety old lady. She is a thoughtful one, not in the very least bit crotchety!! I love her.

Here's the best part: she wanted to give me something for the ride and I said she didn't have to, but she really wanted to....and so I accepted her gift....i.t was a super large size gatorade and two yogurts. In a Taco Bell bag. I said - thanks so much, my son can have these for breakfast!
And she responded: Well, I hope they are good.
Ha, um, yeah, me too.

It's the thought that counts, right.
I love her.

13 comments:

  1. Brandy said...:

    how interesting. did you really let your son eat the gatorade/yogurt? i don't know if I could.

  1. Jay said...:

    She still might have body parts buried around her yard. I would be careful. LOL ;-)

  1. wow, she sounds inspiring. I strive to spend more of my life DOING and not "Sitting and watching." And I fall dismally short of that goal.

  1. Serenityville said...:

    Very nice of you...I often want to do nice things, and sometimes do, but more often back away out of shyness. How silly!

  1. Pam said...:

    That's sweet of you to offer her a ride. I bet lots of people shy away from her.

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I'm glad you saw her again! And now I guess you know where she lives, if you wanted to check up on her or whatever.

  1. Heather said...:

    Some of the most interesting people are the ones that don't blend into what most would convice as normal. I'm beginning to love this old lady too! I bet she has a gillion great stories in her.

    Kudos to you for being her friend.

  1. carma said...:

    your new buddy is a wise one!! So true, once you get in the habit of not getting out of the house, it quickly becomes routine. Nice that she is "filling up" her days

  1. Shana said...:

    It's so nice of you to give her a ride. I'm sure a lot of people just pass her by.

  1. I think you should do a weekly "talk to Selma" post.

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    94! That's amazing. She sounds like a great person to chat with. She's right though, she sits it out, she'll lose momentum. I know what that's like. All that walking helps to keep her young I'm sure.

  1. Your kindness is so overwhelming. I love YOU!!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    OMG, I love the yogurt and gatorade part!!! She has been walking and picking up cans etc for AS LONG as I can remember. Seriously, my entire childhood she was out there. How wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails