The Great Shampoo Drive of 2010, aka My Bubbly Bday Bash

This is the month where I age a *teeny* bit more. On February 20th, I'm going to be THIRTY-SIX years old. (it's more dramatic spelled out)

My 36th year is going to be wonderful. I'm ready for it. Bring it on. I feel like time is just slipping away from me. Just the other day I was 30. And the day before that, I was 25. So for my 36th bday, I am going to do more seizing the day, and less just sitting about. More on that later...

I emailed some close friends and asked them to save the date for my bday and we would go out to dinner before my actual b-day party. One wonderful friend emailed back and asked what I would like for a gift. And that got me thinking....

***insert time warp music****
(it sounds like this: dooo dooo dooooooo do dooooo doooo dooooooooo)

Ten years ago, I had just finished college and I had a young child and a job at a nonprofit that I loved, but which didn't pay my bills every month. I lived a sparse life and many times had to use my gas card to get enough gas to get to work. Then I had to use my credit card for food some months. My ex wasn't paying his half of the daycare (required by our court agreement, but only enforceable if I actually go to court with a bill and demand he pay it) and I was constantly struggling to keep my son in a daycare center. For a while, my car had a bad radiator and I literally had to fill it with water before starting it. EVERY time I went to start it.
Point being - ten years ago, life was hard. Very hard.

Looking at my life now, where I still somewhat live paycheck to paycheck, but we live a good life - I own my own house, we have money to eat out, I have money for gas, guitar lessons, and clothing...life is good.

So when I was asked what I would like - I immediately thought of how fun it would be to have all my birthday gifts in the form of a donation. Maybe a food drive....but everyone does food drives. Boring. I wanted to make it different and fun and something that people would want to join in because it is different. My team at work had volunteered at our local food bank a couple months ago and they had one section that had toiletries and such, but there was only about six bottles of shampoo. The first six people in the door that day got shampoo, a nice treat from the food bank. And so with that thought in my head---- I am planning a Bubbly Birthday this year and asking for donations to my Shampoo Drive.

Fun, right?

Even more fun----I had one person at work donate 7 bottles before I even really had all my details together. And last night, a friend brought me 3 bags full!!!!

My goal is 150 bottles by Feb 20th.

I am thinking this will not be a problem. I sent a few emails out at work and people seem very eager to help. I work in an office with about 300 people. It shouldn't be hard for me to get close to 100 just from work, right?? I hope not.

I'll keep you all posted as it goes on. I have two weeks to get 150 bottles. Alison is helping and has some workmates offer some up already too! This isn't going to be hard!!

Anyone else want to join in? Host a Shampoo Drive in your area, see how much your friends can come up with...it's really not hard and every little bit helps!

It's so simple and easy, and having someone give you an unexpected bottle or two of shampoo is such a joy.

I have a low-income housing complex I'm working with and they'll get some of our donations and then the rest will go to our local food pantry. Stay tuned for pictures.

16 comments:

  1. Tia said...:

    We share a birthday!!
    The donation is a great idea!

  1. Jay said...:

    A shampoo drive? What a great idea. I would have never thought of something like that.

  1. Nessa said...:

    36 was a great age. I loved it. And your gift idea is excellent.

    Dark

  1. kilax said...:

    LOL, it IS more dramatic if you spell it out.

    This is such a wonderful idea! You are so inspiring :)

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    This is such a great idea. We take these things for granted but sommeone that's struggling top ut food on the table...shampoo actually becomes a luxury item. Good for you!

  1. kyooty said...:

    What a fabulous idea. I remember when I was in the "redcross" in school, one of the things that we did was have the members bring in hygiene products, shampoo, razers, shaving cream, 28daysish supplies and so on. Happy soon to be birthday!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    what a cool way to celebrate...and make a difference in the lives of others...currently residing at 36 myself, it is a fun year. smiles.

  1. That is wicked awesome. LOVE the idea!

  1. Pam said...:

    That is a neat idea. I had not thought about this before. I can't wait to see if you reach your goal.

  1. Shana said...:

    What a great idea. People always forget that kind of thing when making donations to a food bank or shelter. Good luck in getting to your goal.

  1. Kaylen... you are such an AWESOME person! I think that what you are doing is truly wonderful.
    You share a birthday with my baby, Alexander... he will be 19.
    I think you deserve all the happiness in the world for all you do for other people. May God bless you for your good works.

  1. Yaya said...:

    Wow! That's awesome! What a cute and clever idea.

  1. krista said...:

    what a brilliant idea...

  1. Heather said...:

    That is such a wonderful idea! Most people don't think about toilettries, when giving food to banks.

  1. Serenityville said...:

    I'm sorry to break the news to ya, but you're entering your 37th year. Remember when you were born, and you entered your 1st year of life? You were still 0 years old (man, I haven't been zero anything in a loooong time). So now I too am in my 37th year of life. My dad taught me that. Right before he got smacked.

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Lol Serenityville. I love the shampoo idea! I think those are things that we fortutnate ones take for granted- how good that feels to wash your hair with a good smelling shampoo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails