My Newest Love: Sweet Potato Fries

We love sweet potatoes/yams, and I have tried to make these once before and ended up with just a pile of mush. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I tried again and ohmygod-these are the best food EVER.
A tomato basil pizza burger (meat free of course) grilled on the bbq, with a toasted bun, topped with fresh onions, tomatoes, lettuce and a bit of avocado, with my newest love-sweet potato fries.

For those of you not in the know (like I was before last night), this is how you make them:

  1. Wash your sweet potatoes. The skin is really good for you and they taste great this way! I prepared 3 large ones, but really only needed 2.
  2. Cut the sweet potatoes into strips that look somewhat like fries.
  3. Toss in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Shake them all around cause that's what professionals do.
  4. Spread on a cookie sheet in one nice layer.
  5. Salt and pepper if you're into that kind of thing. I used just a light smatter of salt. Cause that's what professionals do.
  6. Bake at 425 - after 15 minutes, flip them over. After 20 min, take them out of the oven, but let them sit for at least 5 minutes to help the crispiness effect. I totally made that up, I don't have any idea if the waiting helped anything.
  7. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

The BEST fry I have ever had in my entire life. AND very healthy to boot!!! I want to eat these at least 5X a week. Andrew ruined them by drowning them in ketchup. He does not deserve my sweat potato fries!!!

I might have to figure out a way to make them in my toaster oven to save me from having to heat my oven to 425 each night, which might cost me $20 each time, but might cost me 20cents. I have no idea...but I think it's a lot.

The way I'm making them keeps them really low-calorie and very nutritious.

Anybody else know about this secret recipe? Is there anything you do to tweak it?
Not to make it better, because these could not get any better!!

10 comments:

  1. Yaya said...:

    Mmmm. I love sweet potato fries!!! And that burger sounds heavenly too!

  1. kyooty said...:

    OK I come from the land of "pizza burger" that doesn't look anything like the pizza burgers I know.

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    do they taste sweet? i might try one...

  1. Jay said...:

    I'm not usually a fan of sweet potatoes, but I would try one anyway. You never know, I might love 'em.

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    These are one of my favorite too. Throw a little cayenne pepper on them after you put them on the cookie sheet....yummmm!

  1. krista said...:

    my only suggestions for crispy ones is to make sure you fully dry the potato if you wash it before cutting. any water will cause sogginess. also, make sure to separate the wedges when you lay them on the baking sheet. if any of them are touching, they will be soggy.
    oh, and to use your oven for an hour costs about twenty cents (roughly)...heat it up, girl!

    and, um, pizza (veggie)burger??? what is it? what is it? it sounds delicious...

  1. lo said...:

    I looooove sweet potato fries!! Thinner= crunchier but I like the big meaty steak fry ones too! My recommendation would be to throw some cayenne or chili powder on top- mmm slightly spicy sweet potato fries!

  1. Heather said...:

    I love yams, but hubby doesn't. Never had them as fries, neat idea.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    I love love love sweet potato fries. I don't like sweet potatoes any other way.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    You might want to try a drizzle of raspberry vinagrette on these bad boys.... YUMMY!

    Holly

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails