The Results Are In-Great Shampoo Drive of 2010

For my birthday last month I had a birthday wish to donate 150 bottles of shampoo (or body wash/conditioner/etc) to a local cause. I had a little birthday party and asked my guests to donate too. I also asked people in my building at work to give, cause really, why not let them join in the fun? It'd be rude if I didn't give them the opportunity.

And so here is the end result:

I ended up with 225 bottles!!!!!!! (We combined the smaller bottles into packs of 4 or 5 and counted them as one.)

225!!!!!!

I am so excited and proud that my friends, workmates and I were able to do this. In two short weeks, we have given a little something to 225 local families.

We made a difference!!! Just with a little tiny thing, we made a difference.

A couple months ago, I was in the drive through at Starbucks and the person in the car in front of me purchased my mocha for me. I am certain that I did not know her. But that small little bit of kindness really set my tone for the day. And now, I think that this birthday wish will be setting the tone for 225 peoples days.

We can all do this!!

Go make someones day!!! Give a little extra kindness. Smile at a homeless person-make eye contact and give a genuine smile. Buy a coffee for someone in line at the coffee shop. Go through your cupboards and find some things to donate to the food bank. Mow your neighbors yard for them. Hand write a thank you note. Or host your own shampoo drive!

Go do something. Small things make a big difference!!!! We can all do this. We can make the world a better place with small changes.

16 comments:

  1. Pam said...:

    That's wonderful! I love the idea of giving back to your community.

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    wow. that is awesome...going to go make someones day. smiles.

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    That's awesome. There was a story about a Starbucks around here where someone purchased the coffee for the car after them in line at the drive thru and people managed to keep the trend going well in to the evening. Pretty neat. And easy to do!

  1. Nat said...:

    Once again, I think your idea to do that was awesome. I bought a package of soap to donate to your drive, but I'll just put it in our donation box here at the apartments, I guess. :)

  1. Lynette said...:

    Super thought....you can also help out and improve yourself too! Curves annual food drive is this month. Many of them are waiving the set up fee for a bag of food!

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    Wow! That's alot of shampoo. I've had someone ahead of me in the coffee line up buy my coffee. You're absolutely right, it does make you smile for the rest of the day!

  1. Brandy said...:

    That is so totally awesome! good for you!

  1. Wow! That is a triumph of generosity!

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Love that picture! I've got my shampoos and soaps that I need to take down to the shelter. Thanks for the inspiration!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Hey that is so great, more people should do that what a great gift. Oh yea and belated Happy Birthday.

    Erika

  1. What a great idea! It is amazing what a huge difference we would all make if people would take the time for a project like this...

  1. I usually pay the toll for the person behind me when driving through the booth. It always makes not only the person behind me but the collector smile! Great job and happy birthday!

  1. carma said...:

    you are seriously a force to be reckoned with -is there anything you cannot accomplish! be proud.

  1. kilax said...:

    Wow! You are truly amazing for organizing this! I really do think smiling and being cheerful make the world so much better for everyone... I was smiling yesterday morning because I saw a guy in front of a store dressed as a bagel. I waved at him and smiled. Of course, he wanted me to come buy a bagel ;)

  1. Heather said...:

    Amazing what you can do with just a little thought that crossed your mind. Congrats!

  1. That is absolutely a fabulous thing that you and your friends accomplished.
    You were definitely the person to receive that volunteer award!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails