Facebook Groups Should Not Promote Hatred

This really outraged my friend and I today:

It reads: Dear lord, this year you took my favorite actor, Patrick Swayzie. You took my favorite actress, Farah Fawcett. You took my favorite singer, Michael Jackson. I just wanted to let you know, my favorite president is Barack Obama. Amen.

I just feel like it's crossing a line to wish death upon someone, and that's what this group is saying.

I sometimes have a sense of humor that borderlines on mean (some of us call it sarcastic, but sometimes you cross a line). And sometimes I make fun of people who probably don't deserve it (but never the disabled or ill). And sometimes I laugh when someone falls down (but only after I know they are okay, because falling can REALLY hurt).

But to wish death upon someone?? That seems a bit harsh. There is no one in this entire world I would ever say that about. And there are people who think this is okay apparently. It's really sad. I was not a fan of the last president and I admit that I shared a lot of jokes about that man and how he speaks ,and how he had trouble exiting rooms sometimes, and how he led us into a war we shouldn't have been in (wait, that wasn't a joke-it was a bad dream that became reality)...but I don't recall ever wishing the man was dead.

That just doesn't seem funny....

14 comments:

  1. Felicia S. said...:

    It is not funny at all and I actually unfriended 2 people that joined the group. I just found it highly distasteful.

  1. Brandy said...:

    I always get the awful email forwards that say pretty much the same thing. it annoys m

  1. ♥Georgie♥ said...:

    I have seen that all over FB as other peoples status updates i refuse to repost stuff like that as well....

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Good idea to Un-Friend! I'm going to start doing that! I wish there was a "Jerk" button on FB.

  1. Flea said...:

    I don't understand wishing people dead. Well, there are some people I wish dead, truth be told. But it's not up to me.

    As to presidents, I wish this one wasn't in office, but I know that ultimately God determines who's in office, so it's my job to pray for the man. Not pray he's dead. He's doing his job as he sees fit. He's doing the job that the majority in our country voted for him to do.

  1. Vicki said...:

    People should be very careful what they say and do.

    You reap what you sow

  1. carma said...:

    definitely not funny, no matter your political persuasion

  1. Pam said...:

    That is in bad taste for sure no matter what your political persuasion is. BTW, I can't believe I spelled your name Samantha! lol

  1. lo said...:

    I wish people would stop treating Presidents as a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the whole country. It is a JOB. A high-profile, high-pressure one that I understand is really important, but honestly- have these people taken a government class? There are BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT responsible here, the President doesn't just wander the halls and make all the decisions himself!

    Goodness- prime example of people who need to get a hobby or better yet, get out there and get INVOLVED with their community instead of joining horrible FB groups.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    I agree! I'm all about humor, but not when you cross the line into ugly and hateful.

  1. Nat said...:

    That is complete bullshit.

  1. krista said...:

    yeah, i just don't see the humor.
    if only these people could put the energy it takes to create a ridiculous facebook page into learning a little bit more about being a decent human being.
    i know, call me crazy.

  1. Heather said...:

    I saw it and shook my head and moved on. Wishing anyone dead is just awful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails