San Diego Story of the Day

We decided to take the trolley around San Diego so we could hop on and off whenever, or just to get around a large part of the city without the pain-in-the-assness of having to find parking everywhere we go.

The idea of a trolley system is great. And I’m sure once you get used to the city and where you are going and what trolley goes where, it’s probably a very efficient service.

Those words do not describe us though. We were unsure of the trolley system most of the way. There’s a spot in the city where all the lines come together. It’s up to you reading a map and paying good attention to the trolley as it pulls into the station-which is the only place you see where it is going. If you miss the reader at the front of the trolley, you have just moments to figure it out once you get inside whether you are on the right one.
san diego trolley
The first time we got to the station, we knew what color we were looking for. Easy enough, right?

No-because all the trollies are the same color on the outside. The color refers to the line on the map. That’s it. So we knew we wanted a certain color line to get to our destination, but the trolley itself was not helpful in us getting there. I found it fairly confusing, and we have a similar system in my city and I have no problem with ours...but between four of us, we were still confused.san diego trolley

Another thing that was not helpful: the nice San Diego man standing at the station with us who attempted to guide us.

When our trolley pulled in, we were right near the last car. My niece turned from the trolley car in front of us and instead started walking towards the front car. We all yelled-where are you going and heard back something like: we need the front car. So we start walking toward the front. Nice San Diego man tells us: you’re going to Old Town? Yeah, you want the front car. So we start trotting that way, he’s trotting alongside us-then he says, wait, no—that’s wrong! You want the last car!!! So we turn back and now we are running. And he’s running with us towards the back car….and just as we get to the back car, the doors close.

I’m the first one there and the others, including nice San Diego man are yelling at me: PUSH THE BUTTON (to open the door). I’m frantically pushing the button, it’s not opening. People are staring. Then the trolley leaves, and we are stranded on the sideline watching it leave. Nice San Diego man apologizes for the confusion and walks away.
san diego trolley

And we stand there in a daze wondering what just happened….all the other people just walked on like it was no big thang. Nobody was running for a particular car. Oh-and by the way—all the cars are connected, so it’s not like we needed a certain car. But in the heat of battle, we didn’t catch that.

My niece told us later that she was just trying to get us a seat and she saw the last car was full. But then the guy started directing us and we were all at a loss. And the people on the trolley got a great show of us tourists (carrying cameras and non-stop checking the map) as we were running like crazy people up and down the side of the trolley. Nice.
san diego trolley

And the nice San Diego man? He just walked away. He never even got on the trolley himself! We’re not sure what he was doing…we assume he’s unemployed and that’s what he does for entertainment. Or we may have been on hidden camera and you may see us on some show someday.

13 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    ha. i will be scanning the stations...

  1. Brandy said...:

    i would be totally confused. big cities confuse me anyway but adding their transportation to them would be worse

  1. carma said...:

    we felt the same way in NYC with the buses!

  1. krista said...:

    two things pop out to me here:

    (1) this validates my fear of public transportation
    (2) that "nice" san diego man deserves a punch in the neck.

  1. natalee said...:

    i cant even imagine that man doing that for entertainment..crazy!!! your blog is great!!!

  1. Felicia S. said...:

    I don't think I ever took the trolley when I lived there but think of it this way: you got your very own adventure :)

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I think if I ever go I'll try to avoid the trolleys. lol I think they'd give me a nervous breakdown.

  1. As if figuring it out on your own wasn't enough stress! I now imagine he DOES do that for fun!

  1. Pam said...:

    He probably does this for fun all the time. "How can I confuse tourists? hehehe."

  1. That would be when I throw in the towel and hail a cab. :-)

  1. Debbie said...:

    This is exactly what happens when I go to any city. It becomes painfully obvious that I am a country gal!

  1. Slyde said...:

    i would love san diego some day. Hell, ive still never even been to california...

  1. Heather said...:

    Sorry yall had such a rough time of it. I am wracking my brain, for the life of me I can't remember there being a trolley. But then again it has been well over 20 yrs since I was there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails