I Am Just Like Warren Buffett!

I had a vague idea of Warren Buffett - wealthy, self-made, white, American, something about stocks and investing, very influential, old. But I didn't really know anything really specific. And I certainly didn't know that he and I are so similar!!!

He had a paper route when he was young - so did I!!!


This is Warren:

His children will not inherit a significant proportion of his wealth. These actions are consistent with statements he has made in the past indicating his opposition to the transfer of great fortunes from one generation to the next. Buffett once commented, "I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing".

I feel EXACTLY the same way!! I'm totally not giving my son much of anything either!

Well...maybe that's where our similarities end..I guess it's not that much in common.

I was looking at the local book readings for this month at Powells (best bookstore ever) and saw that Warren Buffett's son was speaking about his book tonight and was sad that we didn't go to it and then we started saying - who is Warren Buffet anyway, and thanks to my sisters secret resource website (wikipedia.com), I found out all kinds of interesting facts.



Like these:

In October 2008, Buffett invested in new energy automobile business by paying
$230 million for 10% of BYD Company(SEHK:1211), which runs a subsidiary of electric automobile manufacturer BYD Auto. In less than one year, the investment has reaped him over 500% return of profit.

And this is why he is richer than me. I never know what to do with my extra $230 million and I just end up buying stupid stuff...

In December 2006 it was reported that Buffett does not carry a cell phone, does not have a computer at his desk, and drives his own automobile, a Cadillac DTS.

Buffett is also a notable philanthropist, having pledged to give away 85 percent of his fortune to the Gates Foundation.


85% of his fortune is an insane amount.


I didn't see any real dirt on him-nothing really scandalous, though he separated from his first wife and may have had a thing with his new wife before his first wife died (2.5 decades after they separated), but 2.5 decades is a LONG time to be separated so that's not really a scandal.

Anyway...that concludes our lesson on Warren Buffett. Join us next time when we review how similar I am to Julia Roberts.

7 comments:

  1. Jay said...:

    My sister and brother in law live in Omaha where Buffett lives. There's this ice cream place in town that he frequents. Every time I'm up there I think about going to that place and just hanging out to see if he shows up.

    Also, I've heard from several people that he's cheap. He doesn't tip well at all.

    I hate people who don't tip well. haha ;-)

  1. Brandy said...:

    Hahhah. I can't wait for the Julia Roberts one. Are you like her in pretty woman?

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    i ate at a buffet...
    i think we have that in common...smiles.

  1. Sarah Laurence said...:

    Funny! I’m thinking 15% of what’s left is a lot more than 100% of what the rest of us have. Still, philanthropy is good. The Gates Foundation has done wonderful things.

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I wish more rich people were like him. I mean, think of all the wasteful things celebrities buy with their money, and how many homeless people they could help, or orphans, etc.

  1. carma said...:

    you and Warren - separated at birth!! We can probably excuse his poor tipping considering the boatload of money he donated...but who am I to say :D

  1. Heather said...:

    That is how the rich stay rich. They invest and rarely spend on things they don't need. For some reason this reminds me of a movie. this guy had a huge check and couldn't spend it but yet was being treated like a king.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails