Introducing Andrew The Great

Once upon a time, there was a wonderful teenager named Andrew. Andrew was a great son-rarely getting into trouble, getting good grades, making good choices (most of the time) and staying on a good path for a promising future.

Andrew was a little shy. He liked to sing and everyone told him he was a great singer. He joined a band with his friends, but was too quiet to be the lead singer and had trouble singing on command in front of others. And then one day, young Andrew decided to join the school choir. For the first time ever. In the 2nd half of his junior year of high school...after having never been in a choir before. But he was brave and he tried out - and he made it. Not just for the entry level choir, but into the more "varsity-level" choir.

But there was ANOTHER choir....an elite choir. One that involved days of try-outs, try-outs that required you to sing loud and proud in front of everyone, singing songs that aren't something you would have necessarily sung before, both with a group and then solo - kinda like in Fame where they pair you off and whittle it down. The try-outs are intense and involve the teacher going through a very lengthy process of hand-picking students who not just have the best sounding voice possible, but who would fit into the group of elite singers well - personality counts for this because the group is together a LOT during the year so they need to be a cohesive group to make it work. Young Andrew used his own money to hire a special tutor, learning how to use his voice the best for the type of music the choir sings, and he told the choir teacher (who he just met this year mind you) something like this:
You don't know me very well, so I just want to tell you that when I really want something, I go for it and I give it all I have and I usually get what I want....and I REALLY WANT to be in this elite choir.
The choir teacher told me about this statement at parent-teacher conferences (I'm not sure on the exact wording but this is close I think) and I was quite the proud mama. He showed such great courage and self-confidence (which isn't something that comes easy) and he did his best at the try-outs.

And......

His best was good enough to get him a spot in this elite choir! He is amazing. Just a year ago, he was too shy to sing in front of just a small room of friends and now he has gotten himself a coveted spot with an intense singing group. One that performs at something like 20 events during December. They travel outside the city as well- I think this coming year is Canada and San Francisco, but we'll find out more about that next week at the kick-off barbecue.

Anyway...Andrew is amazing. That's the post of the day.

And here is a short clip of him singing solo for the very first time ever EVER!!!

Let me just say that I hate this song, Barbara Ann, and I especially hate the lead voice in this song - not Andrew of course, but the lead in general. He's supposed to sing this super-high, nasal-y voice that goes on for the entire song.

Andrew was a bit nervous once he actually had the microphone in hand and stepped in front of the packed theater at the high school pops concert, so he didn't fully sing hit the super-high, nasal-y level he was supposed to, but he gave it a great effort and when he missed that super-high, nasal-y level, he just sang the song in his lovely voice and made it work. All while bopping along on stage in his swim trunks and a tank top.
Courage - check.
Endurance - check.
Passion - check.
Enthusiasm - check
AMAZING - check

Take a sec, watch my baby sing. I just cut out a small segment (cause who really wants to hear some other person's kid sing an annoying song for choir?). There will  be other videos in the future and I'll probably share those in their entirety at some point, but we'll ease into them so it doesn't seem like someone who pulls out the slide show of their holiday trip to Mt. Rushmore and wants to share all 180 pictures of their trip.

18 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    rock on! that is awesome!

  1. That is great! He looks like a natural--you have every right to be proud :)

  1. Brandy said...:

    what a great post! you can tell you are one proud mama. And for good reason.

  1. carma said...:

    Just watched the video -- he is fantastic and looks so comfortable up there singing...bet you had tears in your eyes watching it...Our boys are very similar in personality (only mine doesn't sing- he seems to have inherited my singing ability)...
    Congratulations Andrew!!!

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    Wonderful! I always feel this way when my daughter has a flute solo. Just so proud. And he does look like he's just meant to be on stage. :)

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Yes Proud Mama. :) (Rocko Seems well raised.

  1. Nat said...:

    GO ANDREW! Why wasn't I invited to this choir concert? I would have brought a big sign to hold up... oh, maybe that's why I wasn't invited. Haha.

    I'm so excited for him!

  1. bookjourney said...:

    That is so fun - love the clip! :)

  1. Raven said...:

    That is so awesome! He was just great!

  1. kilax said...:

    Wow! This is so cool. What a great hobby to have. It is something he can do for the rest of his life :)

  1. Pam said...:

    That is wonderful. You have a right to be proud of Andrew! Go, Andrew!

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    You'd think he was my son, I'm so proud! This is just fantastic. I'm sure it will help him blossom into an even more fantastic human being.

  1. Woo! He's got a great voice! And nice moves!

  1. Courtney said...:

    Good job, Andrew! I loved the clip - he did an awesome job!

  1. Right on, he really looks and sounds like he is in his element in the video.

  1. Vicki said...:

    How cool is that???? He sings really good and did a great job!!!

  1. ~Sheila~ said...:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. MAC Mom said...:

    Love your blog and your about me section.
    Your words just gleam with how proud you are of your son.
    Go Andrew.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails