My Celebrity Encounter: Ayyyyyy

Our local bookstore is fairly famous and has some amazing authors come through for book readings. Friday night an old childhood friend of mine was on the author events.

This is my friend, Henry Winkler. He was a childhood friend...via the television. We spent a LOT of time together...via the television. He taught me a LOT about life...(say it with me) via the television.
And here he is on Friday night:Henry Winkler book reading
This is the third or fourth book reading I've been to - Henry's was the best big name we've had come through, someone who everyone knows-not just readers. But he was also the worst, because he only spoke for 14 minutes. Literally, FOURTEEN minutes. And then he opened it up to questions to the audience, calling on the kids there first (he was promoting his childrens series). One little boy asked this question: "Have you ever been on tv?" And we all laughed and I suspect Henry felt it was a posed question, as he just went on to the next after the laughter stopped. Henry Winkler book reading
He's only 5'6 - so he stood on a chair to talk!

He read a short book from his latest book...and then that was it. He was ready to sign books 30 minutes from the start time. Whoa....what? 30 minutes total? The authors usually spend an hour talking or reading or answering questions.

Some of us had been there 60 minutes beforehand. Some people had been there 90-120 minutes beforehand. And all you can do is speak for 30 minutes? Ugh...not cool.

And then there were the rules: Only two books would be signed. The books must be from his current childrens series. Nothing else would be signed at all. No personal inscriptions at all-he was only signing his name. No personal photos would be taken-not even of you standing next to him as he sat there signing. Nothing. You could take a picture of him at the table, that was it. No questions at the book signing table. No fun. No laughter. (those last two were implied, not directly stated)

Anyway, it was interesting to hear/see him. He had a really powerful message to us all: Never give up. Even when you fail, you just keep on trying. (he said it better than I just did)

He's done a LOT in his lifetime. He comes from parents who won no parenting awards. He told us that his parents used to call him Dumb Dog. They didn't expect much of him. He is well educated but doesn't consider himself to be that smart. He has a strong determination and even when something goes wrong or just doesn't work out for him, he just keeps going. I didn't realize that he actually produced MacGyver and Sabrina the Teenaged Witch - among the other gazillion things he's done in life.

This was the scene at his book reading.
Powells books author reading Henry Winkler

Powells books author reading Henry Winkler Interesting note about that lady in the bottom right of the picture - she dated Henry Winkler in college. Her husband told me the story when he was saving their seats. He said, She hasn't talked to him for 34 years, but I hope she doesn't feel like she made the wrong choice....
He was adorable.

And this is the scene of me and my friend Amy in the book store. Look at how I am positively glowing!

Powells books author reading Henry Winkler Not photoshopped. I am apparently an albino.

12 comments:

  1. TQ said...:

    I love Fonzie!! So cool that you went...

  1. Maribeth said...:

    Oh how much fun is this!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    very cool...ponch from CHIPS frequents our starbucks regularly...

  1. Brandy said...:

    So I think it was a littler bit of a letdown,

  1. Heather said...:

    I can tell that was a lot of fun, but diapointing too. I have never heard of a book reading/signing with such rules or in such a short time.

    Cool pic of his ex-girlfriend!

  1. ♥Georgie♥ said...:

    That is beyond COOL! I so love henry aka the fonze!

  1. Jay said...:

    That's pretty awesome. He drew a bit crowd too!

  1. kilax said...:

    I didn't realize he wrote! It does sound like he has an amazing story. Too bad they didn't let him talk more and were so strict!

    I have never seen the show he was on, but recognize him. I think I have a pillowcase from that show, that I accidentally stole from my grandma.

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    It's like you are lit from within! I'm sorry there were so many rules.

  1. bummer about the rules, but I'm guessing if they didn't make them--and make them strict--it would be tons of happy days posters and all kinds of nonsense. I REALLY like Henry Winkler, I think he's the kind of person that is business smart, but not in a smarmy/greedy way.

  1. carma said...:

    I'm guessing you were not able to get your book autographed then, with all those rules and so many people. bummer. I have always liked him. His parents seem like real a*holes. Sad.

  1. Vicki said...:

    I think he would be better off to cut out some of the rules and talk to the crowd longer. It just might give him more book sales.

    I still like him, how could you not?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails