Random Thoughts Tuesday - Fish Have No Feelings Edition

These are my thoughts. They are typically random:

This fact is insane to me:


A startling one in 10 Americans pay to store excess stuff. As of year-end 2009,
there were 2.4 billion square feet of public storage space in the U.S. If you
are storing stuff, it's likely that you have too much. via DailyWorth
There was an episode of This American Life that featured people who go to storage unit sales, where they purchase an entire unit after a certain amount of nonpayment time has gone by. They don't get to look through the unit, the auctioneer guy just opens up the door and gives them a few minutes to look directly at it, no digging, no touching-nothing-and then they just start bidding. There was some guy who purchased a unit for like $300 and found some kind of jewelry in a storage thing and made about a $60,000 profit. But then there was another guy who won an auction that had boxes of stuff labeled Crystal and the bidding went pretty high...but then it turned out that the owner of the unit was named Crystal. Oops.

Anyway, I don't like having too much stuff. That's all. I feel like I have been too anxious to get stuff since I moved into the house and have lost my minimalistic roots.

On the other hand, I really want to go shopping and get some more stuff to decorate with....


I would like to meet Ellen Degeneres or Jon Stewart. Does anyone out there have any connections? I'm not joking.


The other day someone at work was telling me that they don't really understand Facebook and she only has like 4 friends from college on there and has no interest in using it. But she looked in on it one day to see what one of her old friends was up to and she finds that she's started a farm! And she also manages a restaurant!!! And she keeps thinking-how does she find the time, with work and family and all....heehee, get it...Farmville? Restaurant-thing? haha, she thought they were real life things...hahahaha.



If I don't feel like fish have any human-type feelings or thoughts or love for their mom like humans do, then why do I believe that other animals might? Like, say, my beloved kitty?


Just another reason why I loooooooove broccoli:

One cup of cooked broccoli contains 74 mg of calcium, plus 123 mg of vitamin C,
which significantly improves calcium's absorption; all this for a total of only
44 calories. To put this in perspective, an orange contains no calcium, 69 mg of
vitamin C, and 60-about 50% more-calories.
More Vitamin C than an orange?? Say what?

My picture of the week, circa maybe 1983:


This is my mom and I and our cat Midnight, who I had with me when Andrew was a baby. One day Midnight just wandered away from home and never came back. Everyone says she went to find a quiet place to die...I remember being heartbroken and thinking that life was too cruel and I just cried and cried and hugged my new baby and told him that life was hard. Sometimes I still want to pull Andrew into my lap and tell him how hard life is...but I refrain.

This is the house I spent my formative years in-from kindergarten through 6th grade. I think that any issues I might need therapy for can be blamed on that wallpaper. I have no other comment.

Other people do random things on Tuesdays too...you can find them hosted here:
randomtuesday

15 comments:

  1. Serenityville said...:

    fun fun fun! Kitty's are definitely smarter than fish, and I have to also call out all the dog owners - sorry kids, but cats are smarter. What kind of intelligence thinks it's fun to fetch a stick 100 and still want more? In contrast, a cat only gets bored after a few weeks of feather-on-a-string. Need I say more?

  1. Serenityville said...:

    (100 times). Obviously I'm dumber than a fish.

  1. Heather :D said...:

    okayyy the fb thing is just Too Funny :)

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    LOL. Too many funny things to mention.

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    OH and I really like the new look, much better!

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    The blog looks great! We have the same template so I'm partial.

    I think that if you have to pay for stuff to be in storage then maybe it's time to get rid of it. Sometimes you don't even remember what you have in storage.

    Here's hoping that you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    ha. nice pic. i love broccoli too. fish have no feelings? if i ever have to get a storage unit, i got too much stuff...

  1. Brandy said...:

    I have too much stuff. Hate it. I think Ellen would be awesome to hang out with

  1. Mrsbear said...:

    So all those people on my home page are not actually erecting their own barns!?

    I do like me some broccoli. Strangely enough, oranges kind of gross me out.

    Happy Tuesday.

  1. Lynette said...:

    If fish do not have feelings then should I still be apologizing to the worm for drowning it when I am fishing?

  1. You are a random master.
    My neighbors bought a storage unit, had a rummage sale and made over $1000 on their investment of $500. Of course, they're retired and have time to sit in their garage for a weekend...
    I rented a storage unit only during a move. If you have more stuff than space, you gotta problem, Lucy!

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    I have even heard that sometimes they don't let you look in the unit at all. If you bid on the unit and win, you get to cut the lock off yourself. An ex co worker of my husband's used to do this, and he said he has gotten everything from empty units to vintage cars.

    I'm sorry about your kitty. We had one when I was a kid that the same thing happened. Her name was Myrtle and she was one of the prettiest cats I've ever seen.

  1. Pam said...:

    I would like to meet Jon Stewart too. He is so funny. I am sure my cat has feelings and is also possibly trying to smother us in our sleep.

  1. Raven said...:

    If I ever need a storage unit, that means I have to go through my stuff and get rid of most of it! I'm a pack rat, but never so bad that I've needed to rent storage for it!

    Love the pic of you with your mom, but you are right, that's quite the wallpaper. A standard requirement for that era though, don't you think?

    Have a great day!

  1. Heather said...:

    I wanted to rent a storage for just a month, so I could have a place for my stuff while we did the bedroom floors. The local storage place here wants me to pay a down payment, sign a 4 month contract and then monthly payments. Heck NO!

    I only use facebook for actual friends and family. I don't understand the desire to play those games on facebook.

    I have been looking for a table like that one in the pic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails