Random Tuesday-ness

New goal for the month: 40 miles on the treadmill. This sounds like a lot...but it also sounds like not enough. Wish me luck! I've done 3 so far. Only 37 to go.




What the eff is this:

Anyone know? Cause I love it. It's like the ruffle at the bottom of some flowing, thick material-ed dress but with the fur of a young duckling.

I volunteered at this new-to-me agency on Saturday morning: The Northwest Children's Outreach center. In their words: We function as a collection and distribution center, collecting resources for these children and distributing the goods to local care providers who meet directly with and prescreen the children.

So let's say you are a social worker, or a church leader, or a school counselor and you know of this child who doesn't have shoes, or a winter coat...they contact this agency and the NW Children's Outreach Center will get them a bag of clothing for a particular size, complete with shoes, extra shirt and socks and maybe a toy or a book. All donated items. None of it is dirty, ripped, hideous, or, as the program manager said: from the 80's. They have standards. It's wonderful, as sometimes you come across agencies that will be like-the poor are desperate and will accept anything. While this may be true, that doesn't mean that they WANT to accept your near-trash items.

Here is the storeroom we worked in on Saturday:

There are a LOT of donated items. However, there are a LOT of needs to fill. There are multiple donation centers like this one and this one alone had 80 agencies it works with every week. It's just an amazing thing. Very inspiring to see.

And as I'm driving home from this volunteer event, while I'm thinking about how excessive our society is, how wasteful we are, and how it's sad that we value Things over People...I see this lil fella:
Yeah, that's a Lamborghini. It runs for about $200,000. I trailed him for awhile, wanting to see him suddenly go from 60mph to 120mph in .4 seconds, however, he refused to speed. I had to pass him. Yeah, that's right. I passed a Lamborghini. My car is just that great. Go Honda circa 1999.

And congrats to the winner of the Green Giant Gift Pack, Sonya. This is her super-adorable profile picture. She deserves to win just for this alone:
I'd love to stay and spew some more words here, but hey, that treadmill doesn't just log miles by itself ya know!
I have another drawing to post tomorrow. It's a good one, come on back.

9 comments:

  1. Heather said...:

    Good luck with getting those miles logged in.
    It is a shame that we are a society that wastes money just as much as water. Thankfully I am not one of those people. I have no need or want to be up the scale in material items.

    If things don't pick up a little at hubby's work, I might need one of those charities for myself! Sad, but possibly true. Thankfully they exsist.

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    eh, sobering about the wastefulness...so true...there are so many in need...

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Asked my sister the horticulturist... :0). Heidi says the flower is called a "Cockscomb
    ".... pretty name isn't it...

    Holly

  1. Jay said...:

    What's the use in getting a Lamborghini if you're just going to putter around at the speed limit? ;-)

  1. Shocking how much we consume and toss. Shameful.
    That's a cool flower--not native up here!

  1. carma said...:

    much as I despise conspicuous consumption, a Lamborghini is definitely a brilliant design; just not as speedy as a '99 honda

  1. Pam said...:

    What's funny is that someone just gave my daughter a pair of 80's jeans and she was so happy. "They're vintage!"

  1. kilax said...:

    40 is a great goal! You running or walking?

    The agency where you did the volunteer work is great!

    There are so many watseful material things we buy... but boy, do I love cars and think they are beautiful. However, I have been in a Lamborghini and must say I prefer Ferrari from the Italians.

  1. Dual Mom said...:

    While I agree the car is completely excessive...I still have to admit that it's mighty pretty..and I'd love to be able to go from 40mph to 150 in .4 seconds. What? I like going fast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails