Weekend Wrap Up - Laundry and Islam and Acrobats and Mothers Edition

Nothing but excitement in my life.

Friday night I did three loads of laundry and went to bed with a book by 10pm - PARTY-ANIMAL. I really need an intervention from all the fun I have. Fridays are really my down time. I like to do nothing on Friday nights in preparation of doing things the rest of the weekend.

I woke up early Saturday - my alarm is set for 8:30am but I woke up at 7:30 and continued on with my book. It's really good, it's called Son of Hamas and is the story of the son of one of the founding members of Hamas and how he became a spy for the Israeli's after witnessing the atrocities that his fellow Hamas members were committing on each other. He was also heavily influenced to leave his Muslim faith based on dissatisfaction with the preachings of Islam. Typically, I'm not a fan of books that sneak religion in on you and make it about religion when I wasn't expecting it....and this book is borderline sneaky-religion-style. The entire middle-east conflict is religion-based though, so it wasn't that surprising and I don't hate it...

Here are two interesting things he says:
Who could have made such bombs? Certainly not some chemistry or engineering student. We knew every one of them, the grades they got, and what they ate for breakfast.
Big brother, Israeli-style, eh.
The area between the outer and inner perimeters formed a run that, at any other military base in the world, would be patrolled by German Shepherds or other highly trained attack dogs. Ironically, the kosher-conscious Israelis used pigs. It was thought that the presence of pigs and the threat of possible contact with them would serve as a psychological deterrent to any prospective terrorist who was a devout Muslim.
Pigs have it good in the middle east.


It's really a great read if you're interested in middle-eastern culture at all. It goes through a lot of history very quickly, but is very informative.

I had a great workout Sat morning-my weekly mileage on the treadmill was 12.50 miles. I'm pretty happy with that. I think next week I'll try for 14. I'm walking - no running for me right now. I loooooove running, but my knees haaaaaaaate it, so for now, I'm just a walker. I have discovered that I can walk at inclines without pain, which is nice because it makes for a much better aerobic activity.

Saturday night, Andrew and I went to see the Cirque du Soleil show, Kooza. It was amazing, as all their shows are. I have noticed that now that I'm old, I tend to have more anxiety and watching people run on and jump while at high speeds on spinning wheels high in the air nearly caused me to curl into the fetal position under my chair. Amazing show though!! They do great things and I highly recommend you seeing any show that comes through your town. Photos aren't allowed, but here's one as we were walking in (Andrew has this habit of walking into my photos frequently-and now we have to take photos this way):
And the weekend wraps up with a volunteer project and it was a great group - there were a lot of really well-behaved kids attending. There are always kids at my events and usually there are a handful who are really well-behaved, but to say that about the entire group is a rarity. Maybe it was kids on their best behavior for Mothers Day. Regardless-loved it, loved them, it went great!

And in honor of Mothers Day, here's my mom.

Isn't she darling? Yes, yes she is. We love her a lot and hope she had a great day today!

5 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice. hope you had a great mothers day! cirque de soleil would be very cool to go too...your book sounds interesting as well...perhaps to check it out...

  1. Aunt Juicebox said...:

    That is one tall boy! :) I had a pretty busy weekend, and I'm actually looking forward to next weekend, because it'll be the last quiet one I have until sometime in July.

  1. That sounds like a good book. I recently read "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" and it was stunning.
    Glad you had a good mother's day. Yours is cute!

  1. Brandy said...:

    i LOVE cirque de soleil. I've only seen one show but would go over and over.

  1. Pam said...:

    Kaylen, you are the ultimate party animal!
    Sounds like a nice weekend to me. I love quiet, relaxing times--minus the laundry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails