Letters From Another Era: Are You Homesick, Mildred?

My mom has this collection of old handwritten letters between various family members, starting from around 1924 I think. I scanned a ton of them so we would have electronic copies...just in case something happened (though I think if her house caught fire, she would grab the box these are in before running from the flames).

They are really interesting little snatches of history, and I love the personalization of handwritten letters. It's pretty sad in some ways that we are such an electronic generation, as we are missing out on these types of things.

Here's the scan of the letter - you can click on it to make it larger. I've translated it (into computer speak) below.


Perth N Dakota
Dec. 14 - 1924

Dear Mildred.
Received your letter on Wednesday and you seem to be quite homesick. We are sending you five dollars and if you want to come home very bad you can come and write as soon as you can and let us know when you are coming. It is so late now that I don't think we will be able to meet you at Bisbee and if we are not there take the Rolla train and come. I made that feather bed last week and I have quite a lot of the other sewing done.
Will close for this time and write right away and let us know when you are coming.
As ever your loving Mama

I'm not sure where Mildred was when this was written, as I know she was in Rolla North Dakota to get her girl scout card in 1923:

And she was busy pulling a B in agriculture class at Rolla High School in 1925:


Mildred is my grandmother:

Mildred Mary Lahey, born 26 Jun 1909 in Towne County, North Dakota; died 07 Dec 1975 in
California. (I was born in early 1974. You do the sad math on that one.)

5 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    realy fascinating. i love old letters...they give little glimpses into life back then...

  1. kyooty said...:

    what a treasure to have

  1. Mom said...:

    You're right--I probably try to save my old family memories if there was a fire. I wish you could have known your grandparents--my parents were terrific!

  1. Pam said...:

    That is so sweet that you have these memories.

  1. Raven said...:

    That is so cool you have that bit of history. My uncle did our genealogy a few years back and it was fascinating.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails