Random Thoughts Tuesday: Food Is Wonderful Edition

Ahhh, Tuesday....Tuesday used to always mean Random Thoughts Tuesday. And then somewhere along the line, Tuesday became the day after Monday. Wait, no, first Tuesday was the day that I had the grilled chicken panini at work (avocado, grilled chicken, cheese, a dab of mayo, lettuce & tomato). Delicious! I miss that chicken panini. Before the panini though, was wrap day at the cafeteria at the hospital where I worked. If I wasn't feeling well on Tuesday, I would still go to work because I didn't want to miss wrap day. When I was looking for other jobs and listing out the pros and cons of whether I should look for a job outside of the hospital, wrap day was on my con list. It was one of the few things I loved about my job for 2 of the 5 years I worked there. We'll just say it wasn't a great job, and I wasn't working with great people.

Anyway......since we're talking random food, here's a great piece of info for you all that might ruin your day:

Terrible Food Creations, courtesy of Eat This, Not That.
California Pizza Kitchen The Meat Cravers Pizza
1530 calories
33 grams saturated fat
4134 mg sodium

The calorie count of this porcine pie comes as no surprise. What else would you expect from a pizza saddled with Italian sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, ham, and salami? And with well over a day’s worth of sodium lurking inside, there’s nothing redeeming about it.
Dairy Queen Buster Bar Blizzard (large)
1160 calories
57 grams fat (30 g saturated, 1 g trans)
111 grams sugars

The Blizzard is known for rolling two desserts into one—it’s nothing more than a clever excuse to eat a candy bar and ice cream in a single sitting. But this concoction takes the ruse to a whole new level, swirling gobs of peanuts, chocolate chunks, and fudge into a cup of soft serve. Suck this unnatural disaster down, and you’ve just imbibed the fat and calorie equivalent of 5 Dunkin’ Donuts Chocolate Frosted Donuts.
As most of you know, I've been counting calories the last couple of months. It's working out really well and it isn't as horrible as I thought. I've become much more aware and realistic about my calorie intake each day. I'm not following a Weight Watchers plan, but they have some really great food! I eat this one at least twice a week for lunch:

It's the Smart Ones Thai Style Chicken & Rice Noodles. It tastes similar to pad thai but only has 290 calories and 4 grams of fat. My panini cannot compare to that. And I can get these at Fred Meyers for $2.50. My panini is $6.75. Weight Watchers also has some ice cream cups that are delicious and really fulfill your need for a snack. Go try them. Go love them.

I have had a watermelon sitting on my counter, uncut, for about three weeks now. It's about at the point where I am afraid to cut it open.

Not food related: I ordered a hammock today. Does anyone have one? Am I supposed to move it periodically so my grass doesn't die? I have a sprinkler system so I guess when the sprinklers are set to run, we should either move it out of the way (not practical) or just bring in the hammock itself and let the stand be watered down each time.

Oh - and when I was flying back from LA earlier this month, there was a dad and his 3-4 yr old sitting in my row. The mom and an 18month old were sitting in the row behind us. Right before the plane left the gate, the mom passes forward a bottle of Benadryl. (smart) This is the conversation that transpired next:
Dad: Time to take our medicine. (dad takes a small little shot)
Boy: I don't really like that medicine.
Dad: I know, it has a weird taste doesn't it?
Boy: I don't want to take it.
Dad: I know, but we have to.
Boy: But wat happens if I don't?
Dad (without even the slightest pause): You'll turn into a frog.

Boy: Oh....okay (and takes his shot).

More randomness here:
randomtuesday

12 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am really enjoying the Lean Cuisine Market Creations--Garlic Chicken is my favorite :)

  1. Class factotum said...:

    Every parent should be required to drug his child before the start of a flight. Benadryl is a parent's friend.

  1. Nat said...:

    Don't be surprised if you look in your back yard and see me sleeping in your hammock this summer... or possibly Sonny and I fighting over it.

  1. Brandy said...:

    I need some hammock action. even a grass killing hammock.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Still hoping for my home cooked meal for giving nice blender to you. Denis/Rocko

  1. Kristina P. said...:

    I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 6 months now. I haven't lost a ton, because I only do the minimum, and my only exercise is to my car and the poster of The Hoff hanging on my wall, but I LOVE their dessert options. Really good and low in calories.

  1. The calorie count on the buster bar...really?! Good thing I don't like those, that's just nuts. (no pun intended)

  1. carma said...:

    one of the morning shows last week had a segment on how the calorie count in those frozen dinners is often understated. you may be able to google it. I eat Smart Ones often too -- one of their meals with chicken (I don't think it was that one) - had three times the fat listed on the label. Still fares far better than the Blizzard though :D

  1. The eat this not that book is like my GF's bible! WHENEVER we go out to eat, if she hasn't read it in her book, she almost never orders it. Then when we get back she immediately sees if she can find it.

  1. Heather said...:

    Well, I have never had any of those food items, but it does surprize me that people eat that many calories and most don't even think about it.

    I don't know if you would have to move the hammock for the sprinklers, but definately for the grass if you don't want it to die.

    Love that convo with the medicine!

  1. I love thai and you'll have to tell me how you like your hammock...I have wanted one for so long, but don't know now that our yard is only approximately 10x10 if it is very realistic to want one. Maybe a portable one some day.

    Funny about the plane story...we always use benadryl for the girls on a plane trip.

  1. Oh, don't give me the calorie count on the Dairy Queen... that's just mean!! They taste SO good on a hot day. If I eat just that ALL day is that OK??? I'm so proud of you for sticking to your calorie counting.
    Great story about the Benadryl... not only does it keep the kids calm, it really is good for their ears! Honest, people, that's why I gave it to MY kids!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails