Where you can see this fabulous little birdy:
And this fun monkey who appeared to be eating a large slab of cheese, but monkeys don't eat cheese, right?
Or this young giraffe in a jail cell:
Back to the concert area, with a couple drinks in hand:
The show opener was the zoo's Birds in Flight show - where they have some well-trained birds fly really low over the crowd and to the stage. Here's the gorgeous bald eagle from the show:
Here is my date for the concert:
One of the best parts about going to the zoo concert was the people. I sometimes forget that Portland, Oregon, is a land of free-spirited, tree-hugging, friendly and lovely people. Our city also tends to really let their kids dress themselves.
Another adorable girl was sitting directly in front of us. But apparently she was tired of sitting after a couple hours because my view suddenly changed from this:
Lovely, tall, Portland girl....with no self-awareness.
Anyway - it was a good concert! I enjoy Great Big Sea and I think they do a pretty good show.
- The lead singer talked a LOT about how much he loved Portland. All bands do this, right? But he went on and on about it. Like between every third song he would mention it. Overkill.
- Security was really harsh about people in the walkway. These children were harassed:
- They ask that you bring low beach chairs, out of courtesy of others, but nobody says anything when people bring in full-size lawn chairs and plops down in the front area. And yet a small child isn't allowed to sit on the sidewalk. Bleh.
- You can smell the elephant pee. I'm not kidding. The concert field is right next to the elephants. And we could tell when one of the pachyderms emptied their bladder.
- It's so beautiful out and you're in this big open area.
- You can come and go from the concert area, so if you have kids and they are bored, you can just set them free to go look at the animals!
- The lead singer said the phrase: brothers and sisters a lot. We thought maybe it was a Canadian thing, eh?
- All the band members sing - and a couple of them did some songs a capella that were AMAZING.
- It was nice to just sit with a friend and chit-chat and people watch, with good food and good music.
And if you have a chance to see Great Big Sea - check them out. And let me know if they talked a lot about how much they love your city the best!