Injury On The Field!!

I was all set to share with y'all that I have had some extreme heel pain (wimp) for the last few days and had to fight a strong battle with myself to stay off the treadmill for 2.5 days...but then Andrew had to show me up on the injury field.

I got a call at 3:00am on Saturday morning from my beloved baby boy, saying very calmly that he is okay, but they were in the hot tub and someone was shooting at them with a bb gun or something and he got shot in the head.

Hmm....right...you just paused to make sure you read that correctly, right?

And as he told this to me on Saturday at 3:00am, I had to ask him to repeat himself because I wasn't really comprehending what he had just said.

Shot in the head? Wha....???

So he repeated the story, and ended with, we weren't sure if we should go to the emergency room or not but after I passed out...

WAIT...what???? Passed out??? So after being woken from my much loved REM sleep, I got the information that 1) he was shot, 2) he passed out, and 3) they weren't quite sure if they should go to the ER???

I promptly sprang to life and told him I would meet him at the ER in five minutes.

Sure enough, the poor boy had been shot in the head. With a bb or pellet gun.

When I got there, he hadn't fully been checked in, nobody had taken his vitals and nobody had called the police. And now I have learned that the local hospital is not one I will be going to again if I can avoid it.

Waiting...and waiting....for the doctor and the police. And wondering why it wasn't the "bad" kid in the group that got shot instead of my sweet little boy.

I went to the front desk after filling out all the paperwork for them to rob me blind and asked the girl- have the police been called yet? She looked at me surprised, oh, I don't think so. Did you want us to?

Um...someone has been SHOT!!! HELLO????

90 minutes later, the police showed up.
And commenced a very in-depth investigation, with great concern shown.
Nope, that didn't happen.
But they did take all the info and took some pictures of the hole in my baby's head.

I asked if they were going to canvass the area. Or call in a detective. Or block off the hot tub area and look for evidence.

The very nice sergeant (shown above) told me: well, we actually get off in 45 minutes, and it's going to be really hot tomorrow and lots of people will be at the pool, so it's a slim chance we will be able to find anything. Nice. So I asked if they were going to talk to the apartment manager and see if they can help provide any info and he said that their community office is in close contact with all the apartment managers, so he will touch base with them on Monday.

Meanwhile, little Andrew is going to be fine, but will most likely have to live with this little metal piece under his skin for the rest of his life. And I might be paying off emergency room bills (I hear ct scans are expensive) for the rest of mine.


Anyone have any experience with being shot with a bb/pellet gun?

Anyone have any experience with vigilantism?

Would love to hear your thoughts on either. I'll be calling the apartment complex in the morning with some questions for them for my own investigation.


And my heels are feeling better tonight after 2.5 days with lots of stretching, icing and no walking!

13 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    omg...i have been shot with a bb or two growing up...so do we file this one under boys will be boys?

  1. If he's uninsured, call the local hospital and ask to make an appointment with the financial counselor. Explain you're uninsured, and ask what type of charity programs they have. Oftentimes they'll write off 50-60% of the bill up front. It's pretty standard policy in healthcare. (I used to work in hosp administration).

    Good luck! Hope you both feel better!

  1. April said...:

    I'm so sorry! That's just one of those phone calls that in your wildest dreams of parenting, you never expect to get!

  1. Jessica Brown said...:

    OH MY GOD, what has this world come to? Boys can't be in hot tubs at 3am without being shot? Ok, wait, the hot tub was open at 3am? Who was shooting at them? Where they shooting at them longer than the one shot that hit Andrew?

    As for Vigilantism...I know some guys who owe me a favor....

  1. Brandy said...:

    so can he never go through a metal detector thing? that's so crazy. what was he doing in a hot tub at 3am btw?

  1. Denis said...:

    Life is stranger than fiction :(
    Glad he's okay

  1. kilax said...:

    What the heck? So he was at the pool and some random person shot him? But in the middle of the night? So confused...


    I am happy he is okay!

  1. This? This is why I don't let my kids have BB guns. They are DANGEROUS!

  1. kel said...:

    Oh my gosh! that's nuts!!!! Glad he is gonna be ok....but sheesh...that's crazy!

  1. Heather said...:

    Okay yeah, I had to read it twice just for it to compute! I can't believe they are taking it so lightly, I mean hello someone is out there with a bb gun shooting at kids!

    I would soo be doing my own investigation!

  1. Holy crap! I'm so glad he is OK. I am appalled by that lack of concern by everyone involved except you. What the heck is wrong with the hospital and the police? I'm really glad you put your foot down and pursued this.
    Hope he feels better soon.

  1. I must have missed this the other day! WTF--seriously not only the nonchalant attitude of the hospital (do you think we should call someone?) but the same attitude from the cop. Not to be we pay their salaries and all...but protect and serve doesn't end at the end of your shift. They could have handed it off UGH!

  1. Mom Taxi Julie said...:

    I totally did a LOL when I raed this:

    And wondering why it wasn't the "bad" kid in the group that got shot instead of my sweet little boy.


    Poor kid! Hope they don't charge you too much for those pretty pictures of his brain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails