Locks of Love...Here We Come!!

I did it!!!

I know to some of you (especially the male kind), getting your hair cut might not seem like a big deal. To some of us, it is a HUGE deal. Especially to those of us who have had really bad experiences with hair cuts.

This is my second time donating my hair to Locks of Love. The first time, I grew it out starting my senior year of college. A good friend of mine had told me about her sister who had alopecia when she was young. Alopecia is a mystery illness where you lose your hair. There's no real definitive reason why it happens... And when you don't know why something is happening, it's awfully hard to find a cure.

So my friends sister had big bald patches on her head for unknown reasons in late elementary school and at some point, she lost nearly all of it in junior high. Remember junior high? And how compassionate kids were to those who are different? No, because there is no such thing. Kids are mean. So the logical thing to do is get a wig and never ever tell anyone. BUT most wigs are really quite expensive!! They really are. Enter Locks of Love:

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.


My friends sister grew up and her hair grew in-no reason why it -and she grew up to have gorgeous hair---which she grew out to a nice 11 inches and then promptly cut it off and donated it to Locks of Love.

Sweet, right? Good story!! How can you not want to do the same?
So I did.

I think it was 1999 or early 2000. I was REALLY poor. Single mom, blahcrymeariverblah, so I called a few hair salons to see if someone would donate a hair cut for me to donate my beautiful flowing 10.5 inches of hair. It actually took me about 6 calls to find someone-ridiculous right? And I, of course, had no idea who this guy was who offered--I just knew that it was a free haircut and I could lose the hippy hair and mail it off to a good cause.

He turned out to be a fairly grumpy old guy and I was his last appointment at the end of what apparently was a long and miserable day. My haircut was HORRIBLE and I was slightly afraid to say anything so I walked away...and then cried in the car, holding my ponytail in my lap. Sad day. Very sad.

Soooooo...you can see why I would be a little nervous right?
However, this time around there were two very distinct differences in the story. 1) I have money for a haircut (hallelujah) and 2) I have a good hairstylist who knows what is what.

And I give to you....the new me:

First a few snips:
And then the detached pigtails...sad and lonely.
And the finished product:
It's a bit shorter than I wanted....but it's definitely tolerable. And some wonderful little child is going to have a great wig.
I look stoned. I am not. I am never actually stoned.


What do you think? New hairdo good?

Would you ever (assuming you are able to grow hair) donate your locks?

16 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    hey i like it and it was for a great cause...thank you!

  1. Great thing of you to do! And your new haircut looks very nice--youthful and stylish! I would love to do this, but I cannot grow hair long enough to qualify--my hair just doesn't seem to want to get past my shoulders.

  1. Lynette said...:

    great job! so proud of you.
    my college girl has done this before.
    and currently my dear hubby is growing his blond hair out to donate. yeah a guy! he has beautiful hair and it grows fast. He is half way there already.

    me? horrid medication messed up hair. cant do. sad : (

  1. kyooty said...:

    lovely new hair do! and ah chick you look like you've walked yourself out of your skin too? you look fabulous!

  1. kel said...:

    Great cause! and the haircut looks fab!

  1. Vicki said...:

    What a great thing you did...again. Glad it was a better experience this time around. Your hair looks great!!

  1. kilax said...:

    I'm happy the second time was so much better! I think it looks good! And I would definitely donate my hair if it ever got that long and still looked nice :)

  1. lo said...:

    I love it!! I will donate my hair eventually but my hair grows SO slow that I want to have some time to enjoy mermaid length hair before I chop it all off :)

  1. Heather said...:

    Here in San Antonio, all of the Fantastic Sam's will donate your hair if you ask them to. I learned that when my bf did hers before her cancer treatments.

    I really like your new do!

  1. Looks fantastic! And great story. My nieces all do this, every two years. Unfortunately my sister was blessed with the awesome hair gene. Me not so much.

  1. Courtney said...:

    I love the new do!!! :)

  1. Looks awesome, and for such a good cause also.

  1. Brandy said...:

    your hair looks fantastic! I love the new look. And what a great cause.

  1. WebSavvyMom said...:

    -->Cute haircut!
    www.websavvymom.com

  1. I think you look beautiful, because of two things: 1. your gorgeous smile; and 2. the love in your heart that shines through everything you do!! The little girl that gets your hair is one very lucky little girl! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails