Weekend Wrap Up - Making Grilled Pizza is Awesome!

What a great weekend! 

Saturday morning I volunteered at the NW Childrens Outreach in Portland again. The woman who runs the center is one of the best humans I have ever met in my entire life. We had a great conversation after everyone left and I brought her to tears and she brought me to tears and it was just so amazing to meet someone who is so in tuned to helping others, someone who feels the weight of it on their shoulders and struggles with it, someone who believes that people are people-it's that simple-and people should help each other and be good and kind. I just adore her and look forward to many more projects with her. It's so rare that you meet someone that is such a kindred spirit-it's like a hug for your heart.

Saturday night I had a Boboli pizza party, hosted by HouseParty.com. Boboli provided the crusts and some goody bags for us. I provided the toppings and the drinks, and I was really surprised at how much it cost me for just the toppings! Cooking from scratch can be expensive! I just don't have things on hand that I would need for this - like goat and feta cheese. I have never bought those before in my entire life. Anyway - it was a great party, a really fun idea and they were awesome!

I learned how to cut basil correctly at the cooking class last week, so was excited to give it a try. Have I mentioned I've never really liked to cook? It's true. However, once in a while like this is not so bad! My friend Alison came over to help with prep work and was a huge help and it was actually really fun to do more than just open containers of food and heat them.

Once all your ingredients are ready (it took us an HOUR for two of us!!), you prepare the crusts on the grill to heat them up. Just brush them with some olive oil and heat for two minutes on each side.

Then you grab your heated boboli and head on back inside to add your favorite toppings.
Alison and Natalie (who was very excited to make her very plain cheese pizza)

My pizza was all kinds of goodness: pesto, chicken, spinach, roasted tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and 3 kinds of cheeses. DELICIOUS!!! The best pizza I've had in a long time!!
Lovely Amy had a lovely pizza as well:

After the meal, we played some games I know of from Minute to Win It. I love the games on the show--don't like the host, don't like the audience being so LOUD, but love the games! One we played was Cantagious. You have three full cans stacked in one hand, three empty cans stacked in another. You have to switch the stacks from one hand to the other without using anything but your hands. So basically you are making one tower of six cans and then switching them to the opposite side where they started. It started out pretty hard:

...but it's not once you figure it out. Give it a try! It's fun!

We also played this game where you have a plastic bottle of water that is 1/3 full of water. You have to toss the bottle into the air, it has to do a flip and then land right side up. It really was hard, only a couple people were able to do it.
Poor Ali tried for like 20 minutes (or it felt like it anyway):
We tried to see if flipping them really high made a difference - didn't seem to.
Fun game!! Go try it!!


It was a fun weekend overall. I highly recommend cooking pizzas on the grill!! They tasted really good and was much better than turning your oven on in the summer! And it's fast - we had our pizzas ready in 12 minutes from start to finish!

Anyone ever try grilling pizza?
Now is a good time to try it!!!

Today I woke up exhausted (I had a couple people at my house until after 12:30am) - but still managed to get my treadmill time in before my volunteer project. I did some shopping for my school backpack project - Fred Meyers had folders on sale for nine cents!!! - and then made a delicious chicken dinner with Andrew, after which I promptly fell asleep for an hour. Then I got back on the treadmill (it's my double day) and now I'm off to bed! 

Hope you all had a great weekend as well!

9 comments:

  1. Nat said...:

    I had a great time. Thanks again for inviting me!

    I feel bad... I was one of the after 12:30 a.m. people. Sorry! :)

  1. Brandy said...:

    you have the best parties ever.

  1. Jay said...:

    I've never grilled a pizza myself, but I've had one. It was good. All meat and it had a good smokey flavor to it.

  1. Amy said...:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. Amy said...:

    Super fun party Kaylen, as always! xoxo

  1. kyooty said...:

    now I'm hungry for pizza. My sons showed me the water bottle trick but used Allen's Fruit Drink bottles. "see mom it does a trick" and FLIP! it does,right over.

  1. carma said...:

    we tried this a few weeks ago; I had a recipe sitting on my counter for months; unfortunately our grill heated so unevenly that it didn't come out too tasty and the cheese barely melted. Probably best to make it with smaller pizzas like you did. We did one huge pizza that filled the grill.

  1. Frances said...:

    I love pizza, but we have never grilled it. I may get some Boboli shells and try it.

  1. Raven said...:

    Wow! You are amazing, getting up early enough to do the treadmill and then volunteering? That's awesome. You are awesome with all the volunteer work you do!

    It looks like it was a great party and the pizzas look delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails