The Final Oregon Zoo Concert - Cyndi Lauper Rocks

The final zoo concert for the year was last week and Andrew and I had to go....see CYNDI LAUPER!!

We watched her on the Celebrity Apprentice earlier this year and he loved her. She's just a spunky and unique little lady-how can you not?

The day was perfect-it had been gloomy all morning and I had visions of us huddling under a blanket on the cold, wet ground just miserable, but the sun came out and we could not have asked for a better evening.

There was a LOT of spunky and unique people at the concert, as you would expect I guess...

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun styles!!! FUN!


Boys like to dress up too.
Here's a close up of the man on the far right:
It's a Safe Sax bag!! How great is that?? Love it.

Cyndi came onstage dressed in all leather, in her bare feet (which really made the outfit). Her hair was about the size of my hair in the early 90's, aka HUGE. It was this big curly messy ball of blonde. It was spectacular looking. She's a super-tiny human and the big hair was awesome.

Her new album is a jazz-blues one and it really works for her! Her band was great, she had some famous-ish harmonica guy with her who blew us away...and we are not really harmonica lovers, but he had some serious talent. It was just fun, uplifting music.

Early on in the concert, between songs, Cyndi started talking to the audience and tells them (in her little squeaky New York accented voice): ya know, it's really distractin to be up here and be singing my heart out to you all and have you just point all yours cameras at me, ya know? Why don't you put the cameras down and just live in the moment?

And most of the people in the front row put their cameras and phones down. But not all. So she went on about: didn't your parents teach you better? I mean, I'm singin up here! Why don't you just stand there and enjoy it and enjoy being outside at the zoo and feel the music and not worry about Youtube or whatevah? Just live in the moment and enjoy the concert?

But there was this one girl, maybe 8 or 9, on someones shoulders and she kept her phone up the entire time-so Cyndi walked over to her and lectured her personally and told her to put the phone down!
And then she reached out and said, see, isn't this bettah?

Then she continued on and sang her heart out and put on an amazing show.

At some point between songs, someone yells out I LOVE YOU CYNDI! and she says: I love you too....well, I don't really know you, but you dont' know me either and you say you love me...
And then she launched into a 15-20 minute story that started with that one I LOVE YOU CYNDI and she started with talking about having idols and meeting them and it took a turn to talking about monkeys (because she idolized the Monkeys at some point) and she told some story that was about a man inseminating an ape, and then it went another direction about meeting someone in an elevator, and then it went another direction and she talked about waving to Davy Jones when she was 9 or something....and it was hilarious because she just could.not.stop--and the band was standing there looking at each other and fidgeting and stuff and Andrew and I were DYING of laughter. If you saw her on the Celebrity Apprentice, you will know exactly what I'm talking about because they showed her talking ALL the time and her stories went on and on and others complained about it...and it's really REAL. That's how she is!! Great stuff. Love her.


May I just point out that Cyndi Lauper is 57 years old?!!  You would never ever believe that watching her run around the stage in her leather, dancing away, singing like a 20-year old. She was incredible.


And she's a good human overall-she loves animals and fights for gay rights and thinks people should just let people be themselves and not judge. I adore her.


Anyone else ever seen her in concert?

Anybody have her new album? I love her new stuff!! Go check it out!!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome (rad?) time! Lucky you.

  1. I saw her perform and was able to meet her years ago during her torch song era. Ah-mazing show. And she's just as sweet and rambley in person as you'd expect. So glad she is still on the road workin' it, and making new music - I hope she never stops!

    And the photo of the boys having fun is The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They are a show in and of themselves!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice. bet she can still rock it out.....have not heard her new stuff...will check it out...

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    I've never had the pleasure of seeing her in concert, but I think she is wonderful.

  1. Lynette said...:

    first of I am jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I adore Cyndi! Always have. Never have had this joy, but I did see Boy George in a concert that went bad and then went good then went amazing. Long but wonderful story. Also a few summers ago I finally lived my Cyndi fantasy of great colorful hair. Since I am home with kiddos all around I thought why not. So went through all the colors from red, orange, pink, purple, blue and green. By the end of the summer got a short cut and ended up with a rainbow in the back from all the different colors. Whoot!

  1. I was at the show, too. She was amazing and I loved when she chewed the people out up front. Your story was perfect. I also blogged about our experience. You can see our pics at

    http://vampiregran.com
    Since mine is a food blog, I have a lot of detail of what we brought to eat, but the pictures of Cyndi turned out pretty good, considering that we were pretty far from the stage. Ms. Lauper is 7 months older than me, and I, too, was impressed with her energy and spunk. Never under estimate the power of us older women, girly! Fun show! Thanks for sharing your story.
    Patty aka Vampire Gran

  1. zman said...:

    Looked like a great show..she can still sing too...zman sends...great site....

  1. That sounds like an AWESOME concert. What a cool night!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    "We love the soul of the one who did wrong so much that we want him to repent and do right, so we must oppose his sin. When we do this, there will always be people who object. But the reason they object is that sinners want to continue their sins without the embarrassment of being reproved."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails