Short Book Review: This Must Be The Place - Kate Racculia

I am sick. I actually stayed home from work yesterday and slept about 15 hours. And in-between sleeping and shivering and sweating and wishing someone would just magically appear and rub my aching back - I read.

I haven't done a book review in a long time and I have read some really great books - like
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

 and

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (I love him)

Both of these books were spectacular. If you haven't read them-you must. The Hunger Games is part of a series and the third book was just released, so if you try to reserve it at your library, you'll likely be in line behind 150 other people waiting for it. Add it to your list anyway--it is worth the wait!!! This is a fiction book and every page was perfect.

Zeitoun is a fascinating non-fiction book about the New Orleans flood and how it affected the Zeitoun family. I could not put this book down either. It was just amazing what happened and it will blow your mind - we really were given no idea about what people went through, the news channels did not do us, or them, justice in their reporting. Zeitoun will open your eyes, and shock, and then delight you in the spirit of humankind.

Go read those or we are no longer friends.

Today's book though-courtesy of my sick leave- is a non-fiction story about a single mom and her daughter, with some side stories that all intersect. It was a little bit predictable (or was for me anyway), but the way the stories all wove together made it an interesting book.

I enjoyed the characters, as you see them at different stages of your own life and it takes you back to that time when you were 16 and wanted to run away. And that time when you were on your own in a new city and unsure of what you were doing or if you had made the right choices. And the unsure teen years where you're trying to figure out if you're the freak of the class. It had a little of everything.

This book was very well-written. Sometimes books that do flashbacks or try to tie in the story lines of different characters off the main plot will fall flat, but this author kept everything going smoothly and was easy to follow.

There is part of the plot that deals with death and if there is a meaning to life and I found myself thinking about how pathetically small our lifespan really is and it was getting a bit depressing, but that might have been because I'm sick and feel a little like dying. You might not have the same effect.

This is an easy read, but not always fairly light. I think I would not have been able to read it so fast if I wasn't confined to a sick bed. It wasn't a book you can't stand to put down (like the two I mentioned above), but it is a good story.

Don't read this book if you're depressed.
Or prone to being depressed.

Anyone read any of these three books? Agree or disagree with my impressions?

3 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice...have heard good things on hunger games...and really want to read the eggers book...thanks for the 411 ont these...

  1. Debbie said...:

    My son has read the Hunger Games series (we own it) but I haven't yet. I just keep reading such wonderful things about it, plus he loves it, so I'm going to have to do that.

  1. Raven said...:

    My daughter has the Hunger Games, and she loved it. I haven't read it yet though, nor have I read the other books. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails