Make Every Day A Blog-Worthy Day

Let me start by saying that today was one of those days that really reinforces the negative feelings people have towards Mondays.

I felt like I was going in circles at work (but this is a continuation of the circle I was running last week). I won't go into it because I have this secret (until now) fear that I will someday be fired for things I blog about and as such, I try to avoid blogging about work.

So this is todays theme song for me. If you don't know it, it's called, "Just Keep Swimming" by Dory.


Anyway, I had read this blogger last weekend who wrote about this story of a mouse who escaped his cage. The mouse was one who loved loved loved running on his little mouse-house wheel. So when he escaped, someone put his wheel just outside the cage, and sure enough, that mouse came back to his wheel and started running his little mouse-heart out in his beloved wheel. So the blogger spoke to how it's easy to get into a routine and just continue to do the same thing over and over, because it's what you do. You wake up, you have coffee, you spend 9 hours in an office-with people you may or may not like, then you go home-to a family you may or may not like, and you have dinner, and clean up and maybe work out and maybe watch the news or read the paper. Then you go to bed....and the next day you repeat the process. And sometimes something comes along and you get an opportunity to do something different - like take a new job, or talk to new people at the coffee shop - and you just pass it by, because it's not what you usually do. You just keep getting back on your wheel and running and running....

I don't want to be that mouse. I dont' want to just live my life and then die someday. I want to make an impact. I want to leave that wheel behind, at least for a little while.

How will I do this?
I have some ideas. Some are probably really stupid. Some are a little bit impossible. But hopefully all of my ideas will get me to stretch outside my comfort zone and not just live the same day-to-day existence (which I happen to love). I want to stretch myself to be more than I think I am capable of...I want to grow and learn every day.

Here are a few things I know I can do to enrich my life:
  1. Learn Spanish. Heavens to Betsy if I haven't wanted to do this since birth. I took a couple college classes and have a good start. I think I need to just bite the bullet and buy the Rosetta software and make it happen. And my local library has a conversation class every Monday - stay tuned for my updates from that because in two weeks I am going!!
  2. Talk more with strangers. I was part of this training one time with this speaker who encouraged us all to talk to ten new people a week. Not just talk at, or share a quick "hot out today, isn't it" type of chat, but a genuine meaningful conversation. Just ten, that's not that many. I spoke to two. Fail. Next month my goal will be to talk to ten new people for the month. 
  3. Embrace the here and now. Sometimes I just count down until an upcoming event. But isn't every day an event? Can't I do something fun and different EVERY day? Yes, yes I can. Even little things - but something that doesn't involve me and my wheel.
I think those are good starts. I'll keep working on other ideas and maybe formulate the stupid ones until they are just absurd ones, and see where they take me.


The other day Andrew and I were driving and I said something about "I wish I had a picture of that" and Andrew asked, "for your blog?" And I said, "well, yes, actually, it would be a good blog-worthy moment to remember."

And then we came up with the slogan: Make every day a blog-worthy day.

I think I need to live up to this slogan, embrace it, love it, wear it, hug it every day. Because we really only have this one life - why waste it on a silly mouse wheel?

What do you think? Shall we embrace life together? Let's share ideas on how we can get out more and embrace life!

Let's do it for each other, because honestly - does anyone really want to read about me going in circles in my cage? No, no they don't.

11 comments:

  1. Mom Taxi Julie said...:

    Nice post! Sometimes it's so hard to step out of your comfort zone (or uncomfort in some cases) and put yourself out there. Some days it's all I can do to get through the everyday stuff of the day! BUT while I do those things I can have conversations with other people and that really enhances my day!

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    actually i really like you list...particularly meeting strangers...so many interesting people out there...

  1. Ah, Kaylen, this IS WHY I blog. My Mon-Fri routine cannot differ, I actually find sanctuary in it, but my mind is where I change it up all the time. This is why I write, this is my escape. And the best part is, it's all mine. :-)

  1. We sing that same theme song here ALL THE TIME! Sometimes life can become such a grind. You're wise to figure out ways to "change it up."

  1. Denis said...:

    Very spiritual blog today. I like talk more with strangers too

  1. Vicki said...:

    Very inspiring post! We all should take your lead!

  1. myrelish said...:

    I like your list of changes to make in your life. I am constantly on the lookout for ways to get me out of my comfort zone and make a difference, I think I might add your talk more to strangers to my to-do list. It has just reminded me of a quote from my youth - Strangers are just friends waiting to be met!

  1. carma said...:

    Hot dang! I heartily agree and am in need of a complete life makeover as well. I hope you enjoy the Spanish conversation - looking forward to reading about it :-)

  1. Debbie said...:

    I love the whole idea of the "blogworthy" day!

  1. Lynn said...:

    Your ideas sound great and I hope you get to accomplish everyone of them :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails