Recipe of the Week: Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Shallots

We are HUGE fans of sweet potatoes/yams. HUGE. We never really ate them until just the last few years. I grew up on potatoes, white and red, but I don't really remember having these as a child, and I never made them for Andrew (poor parenting by both my mom and I). Since we discovered them though, we have made up for lost time and eaten them about once a week.

FYI: A baked sweet potato has 700% of your daily Vitamin A!!!

We usually make them into fries (baked), or sometimes we grill them, but tonight was a new recipe, courtesy of Cooking Light:

Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Shallots
Don't they look great?? Light and fluffy, a beautiful color, and a filling side dish.

Ingredients

 
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2 large)

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary

1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

 
Preparation
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Add shallots to pan, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with sugar; cook 20 minutes or until shallots are golden, stirring occasionally.
  2. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add rosemary, salt, and pepper; beat until blended. Spoon into a bowl; top with shallots, and drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil.

 
Nutritional Information

 
Calories:202
Fat:6.3g (sat 0.9g,mono 4.5g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:2.9g
Carbohydrate:34.9g
Fiber:4.8g
Cholesterol:0.0mg
Iron:1.2mg
Sodium:278mg
Calcium:55mg

Our review:
These could not be more delicious!!!
The sweet potatoes I buy that are labeled as such in the store are actually whitish-yellow, but the picture in the Cooking Light article showed the dish as orange - which is what we (me and Fred Meyers) call yams. So I used both - and I doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers, so I used 3 sweet potatoes and 2 yams.

I have no experience with shallots and when I went grocery shopping, I had only written down "shallots" on my list...so I bought one which came in a clove-like thing with two "cloves", so I thought that might be considered two shallots....but then I thought that it was still one shallot technically, so with doubling my recipe, I ended up 3 shallots short. I substituted my missing shallots with a white onion.

The shallots were pretty greasy-seeming so I didn't drizzle oil on the potatoes before serving. I don't think we really missed out by skipping this step.

This was much more time/work for sweet potatoes than I usually invest, but absolutely worth it!!

And this makes me wonder....what other amazing foods are out there that I don't make because I don't want to invest the time?

Granted, I am not usually in the mood to spend an extra 20 minutes making dinner - but for those times when I'm in the mood, I am going to take advantage! Stay tuned for more great recipes!

What are your favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes?
You don't know of one? Please do yourself a favor and try them!! I was doubtful of them at first, but they are so healthy and a great taste.

5 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice. we just had sweet potatoes tonight with dinner...got a few still around so...

  1. Lynette said...:

    adore sweet tators. but i think i will try this with boiled mashed pumpkin in it too?

  1. Vicki said...:

    We LOVE sweet potatoes!! This recipe sounds yummy! Will have to it!

  1. blueviolet said...:

    I've never had mashed sweet potatoes before! YUM!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    How can I make these, and then travel an hour with them? Can I turn them into a casserole dish, and just reheat in the microwave when I get there, or will they be too dry? Could I heat them in a crockpot as is, or would I have to add milk/egg/butter to keep them from drying out?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails