Want Some Candy, Little Boy?

What a weird "holiday" Halloween is....we disguise our kids and then have them knock on strangers doors begging for food. Just weird. It makes for some fun pictures though.

Andrew was born in November, so he was almost one for his first Halloween. My sister had a 3 year old at the time, little Tyler. They were great buddies when they were young and we lived near each other. The plan for Halloween was to meet at grandma's house and head out together with the kids. We showed up at grandma's house and found that young Tyler was a pirate.

Which is what baby Andrew was dressed as!!! We had no idea until we met up.

Baby Pirate Andrew, Aunt Jenny, and Young Pirate Tyler
There's really no purpose in taking a one-year old out trick or treating except to get yourself some free chocolate. They enjoy it and all, it's different and fun and everyone is always so happy...but a big bag full of chocolate...what's a 1 yr old going to do with that?

I would like to say that I was one of those moms who handmade her child's outfit with love and sweat and tears, but I didn't. Did I mention I was 19? Yeah, I was not little miss homemaker. I was 19. Nuff said.

The next year we showed up at grandma's house and both boys were super-heroes. I wish I still had every one of Andrew's outfits. They would be cute to have stuffed at Halloween as decorations. I'm not a hoarder though, I've moved too much and pared down plenty of times. And I guess it would be a little creepy for others. I was thinking I could have a cut out face of Andrew to attach to the stuffed costume. That's not weird, right?
Masked Men...Holding Hands
Eventually Andrew and I moved for me to go to college and we left behind the family. No more Halloween meetup's at grandmas, no more trick or treating with Tyler. Sad.

However, I had a lot of great friends in college who helped make Andrews life wonderful and our first Halloween included a trip to the dorm hall where I had some friends and it was great fun going to the floors and knocking on dorm rooms. It was nice and warm and dry and all the college kids loved my darling baby, of course.

Bumblebee Andrew
Who doesn't love a bumblebee? Let's make note that I was no longer 19 and figured out how to hand make this outfit. I'm pretty sure that was obvious without me saying anything....but it's impressive, no? Dear lord he was adorable, right? It's hard to look away from that sweet little face and those wonderful little pipe cleaner antennae. And the makeup around the eyes? Genius, Kaylen, pure genius.

These fun days of begging for free food are behind me now though...and now I just give to the hungry children who come ringing my doorbell.

5 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    smiles..we have a boba fett and ben 10 this year...we have hand made a few through the years ourselves...

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    awww. what a sweet reflection post. I enjoyed looking at all his costumes.

  1. Lynn said...:

    Awww the kids are cute in the outfits. I miss that time with my kids, we always used to take them to just a few places for trick or treating and then we would let them have their own halloween party after that, hope you enjoy your weekend :o)

  1. Raven said...:

    I love Halloween. It's so fun to see all the kids dressed up. Those are some great costumes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails