A Happy Birthday Post for My One And Only Andrew!

Wow, remember these days?
I loved this sweater he's wearing!!
I can barely remember a time in life when I didn't have Andrew by my side. I literally went from being a kid in my parents house, to having a kid in my own house. And it was only possible because I happened to be lucky enough to get the best little boy ever.

When Andrew turned one, I got this large plastic Happy Birthday banner from some craft store, and it's been up at every one of his birthdays (minus the birthday in Korea). I wasn't that organized about it back in the early years, but it was there.

Here's my 3 yr old little boy.
This was the year we held the party at the local skating rink. For a three year old. Hmmm...most three year olds aren't known for their exceptional skating skills and I'm not sure we really considered that in advance, but it was still a lot of fun. One of the most memorable moments from this party was that one of his friends from daycare came, she was maybe four, and her mom just dropped her off and left. A 4 yr old...at a skating rink. We spent a lot of time babysitting her-she was like a newborn giraffe with tall legs and she could NOT stand on roller skates, but she really wanted to try. The entire party. It was a party of making sure that little girl didn't leave with marks on her.

My young Andrew was four when we moved for me to attend college and he helped make my college years fun in a way that most college kids don't experience. I wasn't out boozing it up, I was spending entire evenings pulling out a tub with 90 action figures and recreating large and detailed battle scenes from Andrew's head. Or we would unfold the couch-bed and have a movie night: me, Andrew, a white cat, a black cat, and 56 beanie babies all cuddled up together under the covers. Or we would both ready our backpacks in the morning and then head off to school together.
Toy Story - best movie ever.
Andrew has touched many lives. He was always a fun kid to have around and he could hang with me in any situation. My friend Courtney (below on the left) offered to babysit for me a couple times in my time of need and I took him right on over to her dorm and they set up a great game of hide-and-seek on two different floors of the dorm building. I had another friend who lived in a sorority house and she babysat during one of my tests one night and I nearly had to drag him out of that house. Apparently, boys like to be with a house full of sorority sisters.

Andrew has enriched my life beyond words. He's taught me how to love unconditionally (though he has tested this well), he's taught me to stretch my imagination (how long can you really play with action figures??), he's shown me that the best things in life are not things you buy-it's the moments in life, because my moments with him far outweigh any item I could ever possibly purchase. My love for him grows every day and I can't imagine how anyone survives this world without someone like Andrew in their lives.

I would not be who I am today without Andrew being who he is along every step of the way, and for this, I am grateful. I am grateful for my Andrew.


It is so amazing that he is so wonderful in every possible way. My biggest gripe is that he can't hang a towel after he showers....really...that's it?? He's just got so many wonderful traits about him.

He's kind-hearted and he cares for others.

He's oh-so-smart!!!

He has determination like you wouldn't believe.
The year he got Whiskers the cat for his bday!

He is funny, but not always because he means to be (haha-remember when you thought the SS on a car was a 55 and pondered how that company had been around for 55 years. Ha!).




He can cook! He feels so at ease in the kitchen, I don't ever worry about him making meals for his future family.
In the midst of a sock fight with cousin Alyssa. Andrew is the long-haired one on the couch!

He's creative - he has great opinions on things and often helps me problem-solve.

A 2-night bday excursion that involved a rental van, a trip to Great Wolf Lodge, and a LOT of boy smells.
He loves to read (I would have had to send him away otherwise) and values the need for books. Some of my favorite memories across every single age with him has been curling up in his toddler bed reading book after book, or taking books with us on vacation and just sitting down in the shade and reading side-by-side.
Grandpa and Andrew - 2009

He tries really hard to be the best he can be.


I have loved him from the moment I saw him, and I will love him forever.


Happy 18th Birthday to my bouncing baby boy, Andrew B! You are the very best and I wish you the very best.

12 comments:

  1. Nat said...:

    Aww... I love this post. I text messaged him a birthday message a little bit ago and he responded with "Those this?" I'm assuming he meant "Who's this?" so I still told him who I was. Haha. Love that kid. :)

  1. Unknown Mami said...:

    Happy happy birthday, Andrew!!! Wishing you all the best.

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    happy birthday andrew! i hope you have a great birthday!

  1. How lovely! Happy birthday, Andrew!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Happy birthday to me mom your amazing love you and I even love your crazy blog of ur " my" life. Thanks for my amazing guitar.

  1. I love the idea of keeping and using the same banner throughout the years. I wish I would have thought of something like that.

    Happy birthday to Andrew!

  1. Many happy returns of the day! I love the banner every year at his birthday.

  1. carma said...:

    you guys have the most wonderful relationship. I hope Andrew had a delightful birthday. Post some pics with the banner.

  1. Portland Rose said...:

    Tear. What a mom! Happy Birthday Andrew.

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    what a very sweet post. I can read all the love and pride in each word.

  1. LOVE the banner and I know Andrew will love it for the rest of his life. What a cute story!

  1. lo said...:

    This is beautiful.

    Happy (belated) birthday to Andrew!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails