Multi-Tasking My Life Away

I was part of a discussion the other day that centered around whether or not it's possible to multi-task.

I usually have the tv or music on in the background while I'm working and I have no problem listening to NPR while I read a book. I am able to block out one or other things when I need to focus, but does that mean I'm not doing my best possible work if I'm multi-tasking?

I can have instant messenger conversations all day while I work and I never feel like it's interrupting my work or setting me back, but I know some people do. Is this just because they haven't been using messenger for a decade like some of us? Or maybe some people are just better suited to do multiple things at one time?

I think that kids these days are probably going to be great multi-taskers - since they never seem to be able to sit and do one thing....I think in some ways this is a really good thing, a progression for human kind.

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I feel like I may have blogged about this before...and if I did, I hope I put more energy and thought into than I did this one! (it's late, it's been a hard week and I'm tired!!)

4 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    kinda torn...i think fcus and ability just to do one thing can be very restful

  1. unmitigated me said...:

    The research usually says that to do anything REALLY well, it's needs to be just one thing at a time. Certainly there are times to multitask, when you have a bunch of simple tasks, I say go for it. I've read that the absolute worst working conditions is to be constantly interrupted with new tasks, which is what my boss does on a regular basis.

  1. kyooty said...:

    this is ME! 6pages? LOL I can barely get though a 500 word blog post.

  1. Lynn said...:

    My poor brain dont allow me to multi task half the time I forget what I was doing in the first place LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails