I wasn't even that excited to make it because I don't really have a loving feeling towards zucchini and Andrew has never been one to have interest in casseroles (he's the same towards soup). It was a low calorie recipe though and my foodie friend Jason felt like it was a good one. So I made it and ohdearbabyjesus---it is DELICIOUS!!!!!
It seemed simple, but was more work than I normally prefer, but WAY worth it. And it makes me think that maybe I can make other wonderful meals! I used to be the kind who could not make a recipe turn out well, but I think those times are a-changin!
|Zucchini zucchini zucchini! I used 3 1/2, but next time I'll use all four.|
|Squash of some sort. I used 1.5 because I wasn't sure what it would taste like..I know nothing of squash. Not even the sport.|
|Two peppers, any variety. I will probably use three next time, but it was okay with two.|
|This looks like a mess. It tasted like gold in food form.|
|We could have eaten the entire pan in one sitting.|
Here's the recipe my way, or visit Eating Well for the original:
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 cups diced zucchini , and/or summer squash (about 1 pound)
2 red or green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 chicken breast meat, diced
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove cover and turn oven down to 300 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add chicken. Cook until lightly browned.
- When the rice is done, stir in the chicken and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole (I ended up mixing in the cream cheese dollops at the end because they were just big blobs that didn't melt or ooze anywhere).
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Per serving: 248 calories; 9 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 491 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (56% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
Make it!! You'll love it and you will thank me!!