I'm an Amateur Photographer. Here, Let me Prove It!

Remember last year and I got this lovely new camera that I've wanted to get for about 24 years? Well, I figured it's time I learned how to use it! I'm taking a beginning photography class at our local community college and learning that there is a LOT I don't know about photography.

We've met three times now and I have gotten a better handle on what aperture and shutter speed are all about. I've read about them and gone to a 3-hr photo presentation (free at AAA!), but it just never really made sense how it all works as a unit. I'm getting there. Though my instructor is a huge fan of just leaving your camera in the auto settings and tells us that if we need to stress about something, stress about the composition and the quality of WHAT you are taking a photo of, and let the camera do most of the work in 90% of life's situations. We were all a little irritated with this, I think, because everyone was in the class to learn how to take the camera OUT of auto mode, and here she is telling us to stop thinking about it!!! I think we were all a bit weary of the class, but it's coming along well....

We had a field trip last Saturday to Portlandia and had a great time wandering around for three hours just "SEEING" things. It's not often that you wander around taking photos of random things, and it's a little awkward even to do on your own, but it was great fun being with a group of 18 others scattered around the block, shooting random things.

We all printed out 30-50 of our photos and brought them to class with us and then discussed which our best twelve were and what we felt about each others pics. Some people have a REALLY natural talent. Some people have a lot of areas to work on. I think I'm a little of both categories. Regardless, I'm learning, and I'm having fun, and I'm loving my camera more and more every day.

Here are some of my favorite shots that I took from the field trip. I took about 190 photos. I like about seven...someday I hope to like at least 20 out of 190...we'll see.

Feel free to offer kind words of encouragement in the comments!

I followed this family two blocks to try to get her naturally stopped. Lesson learned-little girls don't stand still for long and sometimes you just have to ask strangers if you can take a picture of their child's shoes.


Andrew's favorite.

Everyone in class loved this one, it was more unique than the standard shots of the statue.

I think this would be better if I edited her sweatshirt so it was a bolder purple.


I took a ton of shots of this tree taking over this building-I didn't really like any of them, but this one is close to what I was hoping for...

8 comments:

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice...i like the socks...a very cute shot....the statue is very nice as well..

  1. Raven said...:

    I think they are all unique and beautiful. You did fantastic!

  1. Heather said...:

    They are all really good. I especially like the tree ones, intriguing.

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    you are doing great. I've always wanted to take a photog class. I don't think i have any natural talent.

  1. carma said...:

    very nice!! love the kids shoe photo best

  1. Denis said...:

    My favorite is the picture of the door/building/lantern from an up angle.Cool
    Kids shoes are nice too

  1. natalee said...:

    i love these pix!!!!!!!!!

  1. TQ said...:

    Dude, this is awesome! I'm so bummed that I didn't join you :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails