Yet Another Year Older....Birthday Bash 2011

We knew this day was coming, right? I am officially 37 now. I am not going to say I'm old...but I am definitely older. 37 is close to 40, and then it'll be 50, and then 60, and then 70...and then I'm nearing death, right? That's all just around the corner.
But let's just put that in the back of our heads for now....


My weekend was actually pretty wonderful. My lovely mom and aunt came down to visit for half a day. We had a lovely lunch and then did some shopping, and took our traditional Grandma-Is-Shrinking photo.

Saturday night I had my annual birthday bash, with a shampoo drive for a local nonprofit. I'm still collecting through the rest of the week, so I'll report back on the total bottles I'll be donating, but as of this morning, I am a bit over 100. Last year, I managed to gather 225 bottles!

Chef Alison, my first margarita, and Andrew looking like a creeper.
This year, my wonderful friend Alison offered to set up a fajita buffet, so she came over early and we (mostly she) set up a delicious dinner of chicken fajitas. She taught me how to make homemade guacamole, which was delicious, even though we didn't have her secret ingredient. I was a bit frazzled getting ready so missed the part where i would normally take pictures of the wonderfulness of it all. You know, life getting in the way of my picture taking...it happens.


        

It was a mexican fiesta theme, so I had stopped by our local Mexican tienda and picked up some special candy from Mexico. Like the very special Chicken on a Stick:
mmm...chicken
Unfortunately, chicken on a stick was not delicious. It actually caused one guest to quickly leave the room...
wimp.

Then we tried the yummy sounding Corn on a Stick.
mmm...corn.
It wasn't so great either.
Next up was some mysterious, but fun-looking, sugar candy called Gusano. For those of you who don't speak spanish, gusano means worm. That should have been our first clue.
Nobody cared for this one....there is nothing good about a candy named worm.
worms are bad.
The snacks weren't all bad though (just the mexican ones!) - my sweet friend Michele made me a brownie cake and plotted with the group to have candles and a song.


note the smoke -yay for  my camera!
 Such a fun night!!
I love these guys!

No night would be complete without a chocolate test. It was decided that our last chocolate taste test was not complete, as we were taste-testing different brands and different levels. So dark-chocolate-lover Phil, brought all 70% level chocolates from different brands to see what brand is the best.

mmmm...chocolate
I'm not sure that there was a complete consensus on which was best....but I most definitely liked the Ghiradelli, however, it contained almond bits, and nuts make chocolate better, so that was a bit unfair.

It was a full party - maybe 19 people were there at the busiest time, with lots of laughing and stories being shared. We played the largest game of Mafia I have ever played. Natalie and I played baseball - using a piece of chocolate as a ball and her hand as a bat (this now sounds like a bad idea but made sense at the time). There was a bit of silliness going on...

there really is no explanation for this, he just put this on his head and we happened to take a photo .
dark chocolate and Fat Tire beer is a good combo!
 All in all, it was a really fun birthday party!!


love all the expressions on this photo!


17 comments:

  1. Raven said...:

    Happy Birthday! I'm turning 39 in July, but I think I'll tell everyone I'm turning 31. ;)

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    glad you had so much fun! happy birthday!

    corn on a stick and worm candy....hmm...lol

  1. unmitigated me said...:

    It's time to start telling people you are 40, and they'll say, "Really? Oh my gosh, you sure don't look it! You look so much younger!" Works fort a friend of mine. She's been inflating her age for awhile now!

  1. Lynette said...:

    Happiest of Happy's for you! Chocolate is always a winner and Mexican candy is never a winner. So your test showed. LOL I love the dark chocolate with pepper in it....yum! Dear Hubby is a dark chocolate and bacon lover, but yeah he is a man.

  1. Happy belated birthday! I love the idea of a themed dinner birthday party too. :)

  1. Mama Zen said...:

    Sounds and looks like a great time! Happy Birthday!

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    happy happy birthday! you are very blessed to have such great friends and family!

  1. Denis said...:

    Good photos. I like the photo of Alison on your left and Andrew on your right. Of course "tripod" head was great too!

  1. lo said...:

    Happy birthday- that looks like such a fun time!! (Besides the candies- ew ew ew CHICKEN?? Maybe you can swirl that in some hot water and noodles next time you're sick?)

  1. Happy Birthday!
    Chocolate and Fat Tire Ale? You have the BEST parties. And congrats on the shampoo!

  1. Happy Birthday! Looks like a great party.
    I think I was 37 back in the 1990's.

  1. Happy Birthday!

    I am so craving Mexican food right now. Food...not candy.

    It looks like a great time was had by all!

  1. kilax said...:

    Happy Birthday! What a fun weekend. I love that you tried all of the different candies. That sounds like something we would do.

  1. Ida Lindgren said...:

    Lovely you! Just come to your site and your so good wroter :D Love love! /Ida Lindgren - sweden

  1. Mia said...:

    Ok for the record not all the candy was bad, but then my tastebuds are not the norm. Great party Kaylen and Happy Birthday again!

  1. carma said...:

    you are absolutely beaming in those photos - what a wonderful group of friends you have - I hope you had a wonderful birthday - compared to me you are but a pup :D

  1. Andi said...:

    Happy birthday, looks like you had a lot of fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails