MirrorMate Frames - A Bathroom Makeover on a Budget!

This post is LONG overdue...about 10 months actually. I realized the other day that I never posted this and you have all been missing out all this time. I apologize. It's not too late though - you will still love this!

There's this company called MirrorMate and I saw their product on some home makeover website one day and I knew immediately that they were speaking directly to me! I have this huge mirror in my main bathroom -covering the entire wall above the sink and toilet area. I really love big mirrors, but this one wasn't very exciting - it was literally just a big mirror pinned to the wall. Sad.

But MirrorMate is this amazing framing company who transforms your plain and boring mirror into a MASTERPIECE that will make you happy inside every time you see it. And the best part is how easy it is to assemble and hang it. I had the help of some really great friends of mine and we had the project done from start to finish in less than an hour. Seriously- 60 minutes? You can't beat that!

When you get the frame, it will arrive in 4 pieces. You do this quick gluing and hammering step, which was really basic and easy once you get the first one snapped in. This is a no-mess process, unless you are a maniac with glue. We just kept a tissue on hand and slid a piece of paper under the parts where we had some glue ooze out. The corners are held together to form the frame with some little clips that you just hammer into place.
We couldn't find a hammer...but we did find a really durable hairbrush.

Gluing was one of four steps. We tried using a small hand weight as a hammer - I advise against this.

It was a long step.

Hanging the frame is the easiest part I think. Typically, you would envision this would involve a lot of short tempers and maybe some name calling and then a crooked frame - but this step is so quick and simple that you don't even have time for any of that! They give you two cardboard structures that you will tape onto your mirror for hanging the mirror. Just cardboard---nothing fancy. How resourceful is MirrorMate to think of this low-cost, low-waste hanging device??

You have to have a friend for this step - you hold the frame up to the glass and find the positioning. Your friend(s) very carefully holds the frame and you push the cardboard corners onto the glass (they have an adhesive back).
Once you have the cardboard corners in place, you just take the super-strong tape off the back of the frame and gently line up your frame to the mirror...and then give it a nice snug pressure to adhere to the glass. It slightly rests on the cardboard frames to help prevent gravity from any slippage. The adhesive that attaches your frame is some special thing from the rings of Saturn, or something like that, and it will last forever, but it's also possible to remove the frame at some point if you really had to. I would suggest you plan on it being permanent though...
Hanging - now in a fun and easy style!!!
And that is IT!!!!
It's the easiest and most economical remodel you can do for your bathroom. I love a large mirror, though it is a bit odd to have one this size directly behind your toilet (do boys like to watch themselves urinate?). The mirror just covering a wall is boring though, right? Whereas if you have a frame on it-it's suddenly classy Right?? Framing anything makes it classy.

I couldn't be more happy with my MirrorMate frame and I highly recommend you all get one if you have an unframed (boring) mirror!

Here is our BEFORE photo:
Blah Boring Puke
And get ready....
Here is the AFTER photo:

WOW OMG Look at that!!!!!!!

I have to acknowledge that I do recognize that these are the worst possible photos you could take of before and after shots. Let's note that these were taken before I bought my wonderful new Canon and before I took a college photography class. And before I did my hair and makeup. And we were a bit rushed getting ready for company who were coming soon, but I was adamant that I had to have my new framed mirror for my guests to enjoy. You get the point though right? If you want to see some really amazing mirror transformations though, visit their makeover site where people who know how to take pictures have posted their examples.

And remember that big bulky 1980's wooden light fixture? That totally ruined the vibe of my new classy mirror. I knew from the moment I moved in that it had to go, but when I got my mirror up, there was no holding back-it HAD TO GO.

So we pulled it out and installed this wonderful light fixture (half off on an internet special!) to better showcase my beautiful framed mirror. And by "we" - I mean my handyman of course. He installed it about 3-4 inches higher than I would have wanted it, but he had already cut a big hole in the wall before I noticed. He is a handyman, he's not a decorator. Regardless....LOVE IT!!!

Hearts rainbows and kittens

Love it right?? I wish I had a better picture of the monster wood light fixture that was in here before - I obviously couldn't bear to take any pictures of it, it was so hideous.

MirrorMate gave me a sweet little discount to review their product and I would have happily paid full price had I known how extremely happy I was going to be with their product and customer service. I love them - you should too!

And a big thanks to my assistants, Courtney and Andrew, for their help in putting this together!

12 comments:

  1. EmptyNester said...:

    Wow, that's a very nice transformation! Might have to consider that for one of our bathrooms--the one with the big mirror! LOL

  1. Brian Miller said...:

    nice...this looks great...hey a hairbrush will do...smiles. we just redid our bathroom as well...

  1. Brandy@YDK said...:

    it looks totally awesome! I love your post about it too.

  1. Wow! I'm impressed--mirrors kind of make me nervous--so scared I'd break it.

  1. Denis said...:

    Hey no April fools posting?

  1. Kristina P. said...:

    I just redid our bathroom and bought a large, framed mirror for $35 at TJ Maxx. It's black framed and super cool. But we didn't already have a mirror to repurpose. Looks good!

  1. Joanna Jenkins said...:

    What a fantastic idea. I've never heard of this company before. Thanks for the how-to and the endorsement. I might try it out myself.
    Cheers, jj

  1. Courtney said...:

    You're welcome! :)

  1. Julie said...:

    That is something my mama would love around her mirror. I will be checking out this site.
    It looks beautiful and I love the light fixture too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Take care and have a blessed night.

  1. ooooh i love love love the mirror

  1. It makes some gigantic change! I love it!

    -Bronx Shower Doors

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails